Sign in with
Your question

Can't pass memtest wi/64GB - Sabertooth X79

Last response: in Motherboards
December 16, 2012 1:04:08 AM

Greetings all!

I've managed to get myself confused, so I thought I'd better ask before I fry something. :sweat: 

I have an ASUS Sabertooth X79 (latest BIOS), i7-3930K, and 64Gb of RAM (G.Skill F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD from the qVL), a Galaxy GT640 video card (lying around from a prior build), and a 500W PSU. All parts are known good. In this configuration, the system gets 4 seconds into memtest and hangs. :cry:  If I pull out the ram in slot A2 or C2 (so memory is 56Gb), memtest will trundle right along through as many passes as I let it. It always hangs in the same memory range, no matter what ram stick is in any particular slot, so I'm thinking the RAMs and slots are good.

I've trolled various fora, and there are two possible solutions solutions so far:
1) PSU is too small. Anyone running a similar setup on a 500w PSU successfully so I can rule this out?
2) Manually set voltages and timings. I've tried both XMP profiles, selecting lower speeds down to 1333, bumping up vcssa, and bumping ram voltage to 1.65; nothing has helped. Is there a tutorial anywhere that describes how to work through the myriad possibilities of settings safely? :ouch: 

Thanks for any insight!
December 16, 2012 11:16:18 AM

Maybe I was unclear. With 7 sticks, any 7 sticks of the 8 I have, in any of the slots, memtest will run until I tire of watching it. Put in the 8th stick, and it'll freeze after 4 seconds.

I used the diagram you referenced to verify the slot numbers in my original post. I pulled the 8th ram from those two slots (I actually tried both configurations) because those are the two last filled according to that chart and this board seems to care what ram slots are filled first.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 12:07:12 PM

I was able to rule out the PSU, so I'm back to my original question: is there a decent tweaking tutorial somewhere on the web for getting maximum memory on this board?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 6:32:58 PM

try the stick that made your system freeze alone with memtest and if it does not pass it since this is a quad channel memory sticks set you will have to rma all of them there where made to work this way,for the tutorial you will have to google it but check the board maker for maximum memory settings could be a bios update.
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:47:42 AM

I disassembled my prior build and pulled the ram from it; they are known good and a different speed. Put in any 7 of those, and all is well. Add the 8th, and memtest freezes in the same place. I'll get on the phone with ASUS; I highly doubt it's the ram being faulty.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 1:03:49 AM

if it freeze on the same slot then there is something with the board.
m
l
January 5, 2013 8:47:16 PM

OK, back from the holiday with time to work on this again. I've switched to a set of Ballistix Sport (BLS4KG3D1609ES2LX0.000) that Crucial claims should work. Fails with either XMP profile 1 or 2 in the same way described: The board will run just fine if I pull the ram in either A2 or C2, but as soon as all 8 rams are in, memtest fails at the 4% mark of test 0. Note: I can swap the ram in A2 to C2 and vice versa - as long as only 7 are in, everything works fine. It's adding the 8th that causes the issue; I don't think its the ram or the slots.

I have tried bumping VCCSA and VTTCPU to 1.2v. Interestingly, the CPU VCCSA voltage is listed as 1.23x-1.24x volts.

The memory is 1.3v part, but the voltage was autoset to 1.35.

The XMP profile set everything as I would expect: 9-9-9-24-2T

Boot into memtest and hangs in the same place.

So, I set AiOverclockTuner to Manual, Freq to 1600, set 9-9-9-24 manually. No joy.

Then I bumped Red to Pre and Read to Write delay times from 6 to 7 cycles per some info I got off the ROG site. No soap.

Then I dropped the speed to 1333. Still hangs.

Lastly I cleared CMOS, loaded optimized defaults, still hangs.

I also tried running the OC tuner, but that just set some weird bus speed and drove my CPU over the temp limit.

Any other suggestions at this point?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 5, 2013 8:55:59 PM

Other than memtest, does the system work with 64GB? I'm asking because I have a different system that just won't run memtest, but it has been running stable (no system or application crash) for more than 2 years.
m
l
January 8, 2013 12:29:32 AM

I haven't gotten it to the point where I'm willing to do an OS install.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 8, 2013 11:14:23 AM

Why so much faith into memtest? Microsoft's memory diagnostics probably are as good and running Prime95 for 8-12 hours is a better proof of system stability. If memtest runs fine on 7 modules, then you already know that the memory modules are working properly and you've also determined that memtest has an issue.
m
l
January 21, 2013 10:59:46 PM

Just to provide some closure on this: So I tried it, and it's working, much to my surprise. I also found memtest86 4.20, and that actually works, though now I've got a different question for another thread. Thanks to all for the ideas.
m
l
!