Jun 2, 2010
My current system is

i3 540
1x 4gb king max ram
MSI h55M- E21
Powercolor ATI radeon 5770
500gb Hdd
650W generic Psu

I have $300 dollars to spend on upgrades, and i use my system for gaming, Where is my money best spent?

You should have the RAM as two sticks in dual channel , which will improve performance so the first buy is another RAM stick identical to the one you have . Follow the mb manual on which slots to use to get dual channel

The next thing to upgrade is the graphics card , but this depends in part on the resolution of your monitor .

It also might be limited by your " generic psu" . Just because it ways 650 watts doesnt mean it can produce that current without exploding . Got any details on the unit you have ?

The recommendation above is to get a good video card with your money. That's probably right. Getting good power is right too.

Before you finally decide read the 'balanced articles' http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-overclock,2699-10.html

Your i3 540 is not bad, but is dual core. Your MB supports a lot of CPUs. $200 gets an I5-760 quad. $300 gets an i7-870.

If you upgrade video now and last a while you can step up to new MB, i5-2500 and new memory sometime in the future.... vs. putting $200 in an older i5-760.