HP dv5000-new mobo, new hdd, can't install windows, "HDD not found"

jahnee

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I decided to upgrade from a standard HDD to a Mushkin SSD.

I performed a cloning operation, which went without error. I took out the old HDD and installed the SSD, and got a Disk Error message. I put the original HDD back in, and got same Disk Error message.

I performed a Hard Drive Diagnostic, which yielded no errors, but did not fix the problem.

I had access to a brand new mobo and hdd for not too much money, so I installed them. I put the Windows XP disk in the optical drive, and it seemed to be going ok, but then I got a message that no hard drive detected.

Not sure where to go from here. I expected that with a new mobo, new hdd, and installing Windows fresh, it would be a breeze....not so much.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
You should not clone a HDD to SSD. You should not use windows XP with an SSD (really you shouldn't use XP at all).

Windows XP will not have drivers for your board on the DVD. You will have to load the SATA driver at install to get it to detect your drive. If it is a new board it may not have drivers for XP at all.
You should not clone a HDD to SSD. You should not use windows XP with an SSD (really you shouldn't use XP at all).

Windows XP will not have drivers for your board on the DVD. You will have to load the SATA driver at install to get it to detect your drive. If it is a new board it may not have drivers for XP at all.

Solution
start with the simple stuff. check that the hard drive is on the right sata port and the port is set to achi mode. on some older mb you may not have this and it be raid or ide. set it to ide. check that the sata cables are conencted fine and the power cables. on the drive check that it spinning. if the drive is working it should show up in the bios. on the ssd check that the firmware is up to date after you get the system posting off of the old drive. it may be the ssd and the hard drive firmwares dont like each other and are hanging the mb sata chipset make sure you have just the main drive connected. you may have to use the clear cmos jumper to fix a mb hang.

jahnee

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
unksol, that is good info, wish I had known that before I started. Also, now that I am knee deep in this, it would have been handy to have recovery disks, which I did not think to create first.

smorizio, I apologize for not being clear, this is a laptop.

I have made some small progress. Previously, when I reinstalled the original HDD, I got the Disk Error message.

I obtained an interface that would let me connect the original HDD to another laptop, with the other laptop viewing it simply as a large USB storage device. A window opened that said the drive had "problems" and asked if I wanted to scan it and try to fix.

I performed that operation, and was subsequently able to few all the files/folders on the original HDD, and can even view the HP folder under "Programs", along with many various drivers.

I reinstalled it into the HP laptop. At least this time I did not get a Disk Error message. I went into the bios and changed the boot order so it checks the HDD first, but it won't boot up. It just keeps cycling over and over again. Can't get past the first screen, where you have the option to "Press F10 to enter Setup". As soon as it gets to this screen, it recycles itself and boots back to that screen, over and over.

I changed the boot order so the laptop would look at external usb HDD first, and then removed the HDD. Using the interface I previously acquired, I then plugged the HDD into USB. The HP would not boot up. I was hoping it would check the USB port first, see the HP folder, and get some progress...but, no.

I have also looked into the Programs, and found the HP program. There are many folders, with drivers, etc, but nothing that says Recovery Manager, so it looks like I can't create a set of Recovery Disks, even though I can view the entire HDD when it is connected to another laptop.

The solution seems so close, yet so far away.

jahnee

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Solution found. It appears that my old HDD failure was just coincidental to the cloning process. Whether or not I should have cloned is now moot, because my laptop is back in operation.

I used nlite to integrate the sata drivers into a bootable disk, and was able to install the SSD into my laptop, and then load Windows. Everything working fine now.

Thanks for the advice/feedback everyone.