How to get a P4 out of a 24pin mini

Just-a-PB

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I have an HP slimline s 3000 that i replaced a dead mobo with a zotac GF6100-E-E.
PS has a 24 mini output and power for two sata devices.
I have a 24 mini to 20+4 atx adapter, but no P4.
I powered it all up with another power supply I had and all works well, but it wont fit in the case.
(this is the computer my 6 year old plays on so I didnt want to spend much fixing it, but dont want to blow up the new mobo)

Can I tap a couple of wires and create a P4 for the cpu.
If so which ones.

Just-a-PB

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Let me narrow that question.
I know I need 2 12v, and 2 grounds for the CPU
In the extra 4 pin connector that is there (20+4) there is a ground and a 12v
I have a P4 connector from an old PS, and if I just hook two wires from it to one 12v, and 2 wires to the one ground. I know this will work electrically
Anybody see any issue with this?

I don't think a single +12V wire has enough current carrying capacity to properly power the CPU. If the current draw exceeds the current capacity of that single wire it will heat up to the point where it will melt the wire's insulating jacket and even the connector housing.

Not to insult but assuming you can do basic electrical work. And your PS can supply enough current on the 12V bus. Order the molex to p4 adapter above. Get some extra wire, butt connecters, solder, and a soldering iron. Cut the molex connector off of the molex to p4 adapter. Make the length of wire from the adapter longer using the butt connectors and the extra wire. Open the power supply and solder the 12 V wires to the 12V bus and the ground wires to the ground bus.

Just-a-PB

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for the help. I do have more electrical experience then I care to admit.
Don't think I can physically tap to the bus on this PS (they dont call it a slim line for nothing), but am planning on two wires.
They are all #18 which would handle 16 amps, more then double what the chip would pull each. I have a spare connector from an old PS so no issues there.
I will give it a whirl and let you know.

jeroensf

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
hi,
I am having the same issue with a HP s3500t power supply and a new mainboard. Did you have any luck tapping the 2x2 P4 power from the 24pin connector?

thanks
Jeroen