Alternatives to the Sony PSP?

If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?

===
"It made us feel good about our relationship again."
-- Jessica Simpson on the Christmas Special with her & Nick.
12 answers Last reply
More about alternatives sony

    Ablang wrote:

    > If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
    > movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
    > device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
    > almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
    > people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?

    You can't burn UMDs yourself, but if you shell out a bunch of extra dough
    for a 1 GB memory stick duo, it'll hold about a movie's worth of video at
    acceptable quality. Ripping DVDs and converting the files to PSP formats is
    a long and involved process right now, but it can be done. I've got a couple
    episodes of The Office (the Brit version of course) on my 512 MB memory
    stick, along with about four albums worth of music, a dozen digital photos
    and save game data for five titles, and that's filled it up.

    Sounds like what you want is a portable media player, something like the
    Creative Zen or Gmini 400. (I don't have any experience with these things so
    I don't know if they're good players or not):

    http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=9882
    http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html?sid=j2232jjcbyyjjo3bysoksy

    Of course, neither of these things is as sleek and sexy as a PSP. :)

    -Z-

    "Ablang" <HilaryDuffEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
    > If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
    > movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
    > device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
    > almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
    > people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?

    A portable DVD player, an MP3 player or iPod, and a USB flash drive...which
    will cost you a lot more than a PSP will.

    No, you can't burn UMD's yet...although since Sony has announced it will be
    an open format (for movies, not games), it may be only a matter of time
    before you can purchase a home UMD player or one that burns UMD's for music
    and movie files. Depends upon how well the PSP sells and whether or not
    other companies think there is a market for such products.

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:59:45 -0500, "Zackman"
    <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

    >Sounds like what you want is a portable media player, something like the
    >Creative Zen or Gmini 400. (I don't have any experience with these things so
    >I don't know if they're good players or not):
    >
    >http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=9882
    >http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html?sid=j2232jjcbyyjjo3bysoksy
    >
    >Of course, neither of these things is as sleek and sexy as a PSP. :)

    Thanks for the ideas. Pricewatch.com is also saying that there is a
    3rd brand name that you haven't yet thought of, in 20gb-80gb versions,
    and cost much cheaper:

    CINTRE MEDIAStore Portable Entertainment MPEG4 Player JUKEBOX (Movie +
    Music + Picture + Data s
    Digital Storage entertainment player + Jukebox. Play MPEG4 DivX AVI
    VOB(DVD) movies and video clips to TV. Play MP3 & WMV music View JPG
    files on your TV and more!

    Found under the "Mp4 Player" category.

    ===

    http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6801/6801598_ra.jpg

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > A portable DVD player, an MP3 player or iPod, and a USB flash
    > drive...which
    > will cost you a lot more than a PSP will.

    Actually, a Zen would cost much less (now you jerry rig the PSP for video
    playback) and would be better suited to the tasks.

    > Depends upon how well the PSP sells and whether or not
    > other companies think there is a market for such products.

    And if Sony decides it's a good idea to license out the tech that can open
    up piracy of their games to an all new level.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    You also forgot about the RCA Lyra
    http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/Cultures/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PCI=Lyra+Portable+Multimedia&ProductID=RD2780

    And I actually figured out there there are over 34 brands that make
    this sort of product:
    http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/portable_media_players/
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/category.aspx?categoryid=600

    How can one even begin to choose one over another?

    ===
    "I was mean. I would see a girl across the ring and think, 'She's trying to take what I've fought for all my life.' Next thing, I'd be gouging eyes, pulling hair--whatever I had to do, that's what I did."
    -- Lillian "Fabulous Moolah" Ellison (81)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    iRiver PMC-120

    http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/multi/pmc_120.aspx

    The iriver PMC-120 plays your movies, TV shows, music, photos and
    more. It features the ultra-intuitive Microsoft ® Media Center
    interface and connects seamlessly to Windows Media Player**. Plus, it
    comes complete with a widescreen vivid color display, integrated
    speaker, 20GB† of internal storage and a removable rechargeable
    battery.

    MSRP: $499.99

    FEATURES

    • Plays digital music and video files
    • Synchronize your media library with Windows
    Media® Player
    • Intuitive Windows Mobile™-based Portable Media
    Center interface
    • 20GB of internal storage
    • Store up to 80 hours of video or up to 600 hours
    of music*
    • Wide 3.5 inch vivid color display
    • Supports secure transfers from Windows
    Media Player™
    • Connect to your home entertainment system
    • Built-in speaker
    • Store or transfer files of any type
    • Rechargeable, replaceable Lithium-ion battery
    • Up to 14 hours of battery life (audio)
    • Up to 5 hours of battery life (video)

    PACKED WITH

    • PMC-120 Multimedia Player
    • iriver earphones
    • Carrying case
    • USB 2.0 cable
    • TV out cable
    • Installation CD
    • AC adaptor

    *Up to 80 hours of video using 320 x 240 at 500kbps AVI format. Up to
    600 hours of music using Windows Media format at 64kbps. †1GB equals
    1,000,000,000 bytes, not all memory space available for file storage.
    **Windows Media Player version 10.0 and higher. Accessories may differ
    from photos. Microsoft Windows Media and the Windows logo are
    trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the
    United States and/or other countries. All other brand and product
    names are trademarks of their respective companies or organizations.

    ===
    "I was mean. I would see a girl across the ring and think, 'She's trying to take what I've fought for all my life.' Next thing, I'd be gouging eyes, pulling hair--whatever I had to do, that's what I did."
    -- Lillian "Fabulous Moolah" Ellison (81)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Epson P-2000

    B31B174011
    Our Price: $499.99*
    Out of Stock at the Epson Store

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=49164278

    Product Information
    Overview
    Features & Benefits
    Specifications
    What's in the Box?
    Accessories
    Warranty
    Technology in Depth
    Technical Support

    Where to Buy

    Overview

    * View, share and store photos, videos and music
    * Large 3.8" Epson Photo Fine™ LCD
    * Portable 40 GB hard drive
    * Download from leading digital camera memory cards with built-in
    slots
    * Transfer files to and from your computer with a Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    interface
    * Connect to a TV or projector with an optional third party video
    cable
    * Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery with AC adapter

    P-2000 Information Sheet PDF File Icon

    The multimedia storage viewer that delivers every detail.

    Enjoy the freedom of multimedia portability with the Epson® P-2000,
    featuring a 40GB hard drive and 3.8" LCD to view, store and playback
    photos, videos and music–all without a computer. Review images easily,
    or share and enjoy them at your convenience. Exclusive Epson Photo
    Fine™ LCD technology ensures brilliant color and vivid detail.

    A perfect companion to any digital camera, the P-2000 makes it easy to
    download files to and from any CompactFlash™ or Secure Digital™ memory
    card through its built-in card slots. And, with an optional
    third-party adapter, it supports additional memory cards. Designed
    with a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface, this portable device transfers
    photos, video and audio files in a snap. It supports JPEG and select
    RAW image files, MPEG4 and Motion JPEG video files, plus MP3 and AAC
    audio files.

    Windows® and Macintosh® compatible, the P-2000 features an intuitive
    menu that enables users to easily browse through files or create new
    folders for easy accessibility. And, it can even print directly to
    select Epson printers

    This travel-friendly battery operated device is ideal for any
    application–both personal and professional. Share photos with friends,
    or display a digital portfolio for business use. A versatile
    multimedia storage viewer, the Epson P-2000 offers on-the-spot
    downloading and playback of photos, videos and music–anytime,
    anyplace.

    ===
    "I was mean. I would see a girl across the ring and think, 'She's trying to take what I've fought for all my life.' Next thing, I'd be gouging eyes, pulling hair--whatever I had to do, that's what I did."
    -- Lillian "Fabulous Moolah" Ellison (81)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In article <ltSdnWhOb8mm1qLfRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

    > No, you can't burn UMD's yet...although since Sony has announced it will be
    > an open format (for movies, not games), it may be only a matter of time
    > before you can purchase a home UMD player or one that burns UMD's for music
    > and movie files. Depends upon how well the PSP sells and whether or not
    > other companies think there is a market for such products.

    Didn't Sony say they won't let anyone else burn UMDs for piracy concerns?

    They did say they will license players but not recorders.

    Boy if they did that, PSP would be so much more attractive. But enough
    people will buy large-capacity Memory STick Duos, which are overpriced
    compared to other formats, to put video on it. Sony has an economic
    incentive (besides piracy concerns) to force people to use Memory Stick
    Duos for these uses.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In article <37KdnXym0vg3yaPfRVn-1A@giganews.com>,
    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

    > You can't burn UMDs yourself, but if you shell out a bunch of extra dough
    > for a 1 GB memory stick duo, it'll hold about a movie's worth of video at
    > acceptable quality. Ripping DVDs and converting the files to PSP formats is
    > a long and involved process right now, but it can be done. I've got a couple
    > episodes of The Office (the Brit version of course) on my 512 MB memory
    > stick, along with about four albums worth of music, a dozen digital photos
    > and save game data for five titles, and that's filled it up.

    What is the number of write cycles which Memory Stick Duos can tolerate.

    Can their effective use life be reduced by putting large files or using
    up their capacity?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    What format do PSPs run on?

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Kristian Wightwick via GamesKB.com" <forum@GamesKB.com> wrote in message
    > What format do PSPs run on?

    http://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=4

Console Gaming Sony Games PlayStation Video Games