Alternatives to the Sony PSP?

Last response: in Video Games
March 20, 2005 10:52:27 PM

If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?

===
"It made us feel good about our relationship again."
-- Jessica Simpson on the Christmas Special with her & Nick.

More about : alternatives sony psp

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:59:45 AM

Ablang wrote:

> If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
> movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
> device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
> almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
> people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?

You can't burn UMDs yourself, but if you shell out a bunch of extra dough
for a 1 GB memory stick duo, it'll hold about a movie's worth of video at
acceptable quality. Ripping DVDs and converting the files to PSP formats is
a long and involved process right now, but it can be done. I've got a couple
episodes of The Office (the Brit version of course) on my 512 MB memory
stick, along with about four albums worth of music, a dozen digital photos
and save game data for five titles, and that's filled it up.

Sounds like what you want is a portable media player, something like the
Creative Zen or Gmini 400. (I don't have any experience with these things so
I don't know if they're good players or not):

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=988...
http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html?...

Of course, neither of these things is as sleek and sexy as a PSP. :)

-Z-
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:31:18 PM

"Ablang" <HilaryDuffEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
> movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
> device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
> almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
> people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?

A portable DVD player, an MP3 player or iPod, and a USB flash drive...which
will cost you a lot more than a PSP will.

No, you can't burn UMD's yet...although since Sony has announced it will be
an open format (for movies, not games), it may be only a matter of time
before you can purchase a home UMD player or one that burns UMD's for music
and movie files. Depends upon how well the PSP sells and whether or not
other companies think there is a market for such products.
March 22, 2005 12:36:15 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:59:45 -0500, "Zackman"
<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

>Sounds like what you want is a portable media player, something like the
>Creative Zen or Gmini 400. (I don't have any experience with these things so
>I don't know if they're good players or not):
>
>http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=988...
>http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html?...
>
>Of course, neither of these things is as sleek and sexy as a PSP. :)

Thanks for the ideas. Pricewatch.com is also saying that there is a
3rd brand name that you haven't yet thought of, in 20gb-80gb versions,
and cost much cheaper:

CINTRE MEDIAStore Portable Entertainment MPEG4 Player JUKEBOX (Movie +
Music + Picture + Data s
Digital Storage entertainment player + Jukebox. Play MPEG4 DivX AVI
VOB(DVD) movies and video clips to TV. Play MP3 & WMV music View JPG
files on your TV and more!

Found under the "Mp4 Player" category.

===
"It made us feel good about our relationship again."
-- Jessica Simpson on the Christmas Special with her & Nick.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:47:02 PM

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/68...

"Ablang" <HilaryDuffEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> If I don't care about playing games, but I do want to watch
> movies, play music, and have a disk storage (like a hard drive) on a
> device, what are worthy alternatives to Sony's PSP ($249 US)? I
> almost would have gotten it except it uses proprietary UMD discs that
> people can't burn themselves, or can you burn blank UMDs yourself?
>

> ===
> "It made us feel good about our relationship again."
> -- Jessica Simpson on the Christmas Special with her & Nick.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:51:04 PM

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> A portable DVD player, an MP3 player or iPod, and a USB flash
> drive...which
> will cost you a lot more than a PSP will.

Actually, a Zen would cost much less (now you jerry rig the PSP for video
playback) and would be better suited to the tasks.

> Depends upon how well the PSP sells and whether or not
> other companies think there is a market for such products.

And if Sony decides it's a good idea to license out the tech that can open
up piracy of their games to an all new level.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:38:21 AM

You also forgot about the RCA Lyra
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/Cultures/en-US/ModelDetail...

And I actually figured out there there are over 34 brands that make
this sort of product:
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/portable_media_players/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/c...

How can one even begin to choose one over another?

===
"I was mean. I would see a girl across the ring and think, 'She's trying to take what I've fought for all my life.' Next thing, I'd be gouging eyes, pulling hair--whatever I had to do, that's what I did."
-- Lillian "Fabulous Moolah" Ellison (81)
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 1:53:37 AM

iRiver PMC-120

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/multi/pmc_120.aspx

The iriver PMC-120 plays your movies, TV shows, music, photos and
more. It features the ultra-intuitive Microsoft ® Media Center
interface and connects seamlessly to Windows Media Player**. Plus, it
comes complete with a widescreen vivid color display, integrated
speaker, 20GB† of internal storage and a removable rechargeable
battery.

MSRP: $499.99

FEATURES

• Plays digital music and video files
• Synchronize your media library with Windows
Media® Player
• Intuitive Windows Mobile™-based Portable Media
Center interface
• 20GB of internal storage
• Store up to 80 hours of video or up to 600 hours
of music*
• Wide 3.5 inch vivid color display
• Supports secure transfers from Windows
Media Player™
• Connect to your home entertainment system
• Built-in speaker
• Store or transfer files of any type
• Rechargeable, replaceable Lithium-ion battery
• Up to 14 hours of battery life (audio)
• Up to 5 hours of battery life (video)

PACKED WITH

• PMC-120 Multimedia Player
• iriver earphones
• Carrying case
• USB 2.0 cable
• TV out cable
• Installation CD
• AC adaptor

*Up to 80 hours of video using 320 x 240 at 500kbps AVI format. Up to
600 hours of music using Windows Media format at 64kbps. †1GB equals
1,000,000,000 bytes, not all memory space available for file storage.
**Windows Media Player version 10.0 and higher. Accessories may differ
from photos. Microsoft Windows Media and the Windows logo are
trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the
United States and/or other countries. All other brand and product
names are trademarks of their respective companies or organizations.

===
"I was mean. I would see a girl across the ring and think, 'She's trying to take what I've fought for all my life.' Next thing, I'd be gouging eyes, pulling hair--whatever I had to do, that's what I did."
-- Lillian "Fabulous Moolah" Ellison (81)
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:04:24 AM

Epson P-2000

B31B174011
Our Price: $499.99*
Out of Stock at the Epson Store

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail....

Product Information
Overview
Features & Benefits
Specifications
What's in the Box?
Accessories
Warranty
Technology in Depth
Technical Support

Where to Buy

Overview

* View, share and store photos, videos and music
* Large 3.8" Epson Photo Fine™ LCD
* Portable 40 GB hard drive
* Download from leading digital camera memory cards with built-in
slots
* Transfer files to and from your computer with a Hi-Speed USB 2.0
interface
* Connect to a TV or projector with an optional third party video
cable
* Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery with AC adapter

P-2000 Information Sheet PDF File Icon

The multimedia storage viewer that delivers every detail.

Enjoy the freedom of multimedia portability with the Epson® P-2000,
featuring a 40GB hard drive and 3.8" LCD to view, store and playback
photos, videos and music–all without a computer. Review images easily,
or share and enjoy them at your convenience. Exclusive Epson Photo
Fine™ LCD technology ensures brilliant color and vivid detail.

A perfect companion to any digital camera, the P-2000 makes it easy to
download files to and from any CompactFlash™ or Secure Digital™ memory
card through its built-in card slots. And, with an optional
third-party adapter, it supports additional memory cards. Designed
with a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface, this portable device transfers
photos, video and audio files in a snap. It supports JPEG and select
RAW image files, MPEG4 and Motion JPEG video files, plus MP3 and AAC
audio files.

Windows® and Macintosh® compatible, the P-2000 features an intuitive
menu that enables users to easily browse through files or create new
folders for easy accessibility. And, it can even print directly to
select Epson printers

This travel-friendly battery operated device is ideal for any
application–both personal and professional. Share photos with friends,
or display a digital portfolio for business use. A versatile
multimedia storage viewer, the Epson P-2000 offers on-the-spot
downloading and playback of photos, videos and music–anytime,
anyplace.

===
"I was mean. I would see a girl across the ring and think, 'She's trying to take what I've fought for all my life.' Next thing, I'd be gouging eyes, pulling hair--whatever I had to do, that's what I did."
-- Lillian "Fabulous Moolah" Ellison (81)
March 26, 2005 4:22:45 PM

In article <ltSdnWhOb8mm1qLfRVn-uQ@comcast.com>,
"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

> No, you can't burn UMD's yet...although since Sony has announced it will be
> an open format (for movies, not games), it may be only a matter of time
> before you can purchase a home UMD player or one that burns UMD's for music
> and movie files. Depends upon how well the PSP sells and whether or not
> other companies think there is a market for such products.

Didn't Sony say they won't let anyone else burn UMDs for piracy concerns?

They did say they will license players but not recorders.

Boy if they did that, PSP would be so much more attractive. But enough
people will buy large-capacity Memory STick Duos, which are overpriced
compared to other formats, to put video on it. Sony has an economic
incentive (besides piracy concerns) to force people to use Memory Stick
Duos for these uses.
March 26, 2005 4:24:50 PM

In article <37KdnXym0vg3yaPfRVn-1A@giganews.com>,
"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

> You can't burn UMDs yourself, but if you shell out a bunch of extra dough
> for a 1 GB memory stick duo, it'll hold about a movie's worth of video at
> acceptable quality. Ripping DVDs and converting the files to PSP formats is
> a long and involved process right now, but it can be done. I've got a couple
> episodes of The Office (the Brit version of course) on my 512 MB memory
> stick, along with about four albums worth of music, a dozen digital photos
> and save game data for five titles, and that's filled it up.

What is the number of write cycles which Memory Stick Duos can tolerate.

Can their effective use life be reduced by putting large files or using
up their capacity?
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:06:26 AM

What format do PSPs run on?