sound card disappeared

G

Here's a tricky one.
My friend installed an ethernet card and his sound card disappeared. Sounds like a irq conflict or something right?
Moved both cards around to different slots with no success.
Reinstalled os still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

system is
Asus a7v w/ tbird 800
s/b live (or value I forget)
netgear 10/100 ethernet card
WinME

G

I have many ideas. I work for a computer company in NH and have seen this many many times. It sounds like your chipset drivers for your motherboard have been blown away or not there at all. Download the latest flash from ASUS, (1004D) and the latest from VIA. Make SURE, ABSOLUTELY SURE the NIC is in the bottom most slot (a non bus mastering slot) and the sound card can be in either slot 2 or 3 doesn't really matter. Load the Sound card first, dont even have the nic in the machine. get the sound up and running then install the nic. It should fly. Let me know if it doesn't.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good avice-that's what I had to do to make my AMD/VIA system work! And every time I reloaded the hard drive I would have to pull the network card, install windows, then add the network card afterwards.

Suicide is painless...........

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm going to have to agree with kweifus. The sound card must be in slot 3 and the nic should be in slot 4 or 5.
You should update the bios and put the VIA drivers in as soon as windows finishes loading. But i don't think it matters as to which you put in first, the sound card or the nic.

*Warning*
This was posted solely to increase my post count and may not contain any relevant info

G

I have a similar problem, only different :)

I have had a SB16 plug and play installed and working for several months now... but today when I turned on the computer it was gone (not listed, not to be found)!!! I have not Installed any new hardware or new software since yesterday, and im also pretty sure that the soundcard is still in there :)

Im thinking that its probably loosened or something physical, but before checking that I'm posting here, to see if you guys have any other ideas as to what the problem/solution might be.

I have Win98, Celeron 466, 96mb RAM, TNT2 32mb RAM videocard.

BillyBob.