Changing hardware...need to re-install Win7 OS?

ljbrandt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I'm going to be upgrading and building a couple computers and had a few questions relating to the following hardware changes and compatility with the existing installed OS. I'll start from simple to most complicated.

Current system #1: i3-2120 (Sandy), Intel DBH67BL mainboard (most recent BIOS updated for Ivy), & 8GB 1333 RAM.
1. Want to install newer i3-3220 cpu (Ivy bridge), will a reinstall of Windows 7 64 be necessary after this change?
2. Want to install 1600 RAM, even though the new CPU supports this higher memory frequency, would the mainboard (DBH67BL) still down-clock to 1333 (its limited spec)?
3. In removing the current i3-2120 from the existing MB, is it possible to keep the cpu and stock heatsink mounted together to prevent having to separate, clean and re-apply thermal paste?

Current system #2: AMD A8-3850, Biostar A75MG Mainboard, 8GB 1600 ram
4. I'll be replacing the AMD cpu and Biostar mainboard with the i3-2120 from system #1 and another Intel DBH67BL mainboard. Will I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 or can I just simply remove the old AMD/biostar drivers and install Intel's?
5. Will I still be able to use the 1600 RAM, i.e. will the intel MB auto-downclock to 1333 without issue?

You only need reinstall the OS when you change the different motherbaord.
For #1 you don't but you need reinstall the OS for the #2 system, because you change from AMD to intel MB. And if you get the OS is OEM version then you can't because OEM version is tied to a single computer.

Read this for the OEM software http://www.ehow.com/oem-software/