Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2011 12:15:57 PM

First my system specs

cpu: Core I7 2600k not overclocked
Ram: 8 gigs G skill 1866 on the mb support list
PSU: corsair 850 Watt TX
MB: Asus Sabertooth P67
HD: single 2 TB 64 mb cache 6 GBPS seagate

Ok so I upgraded from a GTX 285 which worked perfectly in games to an XFX 6870 black edition and all games seem to hard freeze my computer after several minutes to a half hr of gameplay. I have tried drivers 11.1-11.8 along with the ones on the CD and they all freeze my pc during gameplay. I have had the card for 6 days and have not been able to play longer than a half hr with this card overall.
I have updated my bios all mb drivers and have did a complete reinstall of windows and still no luck. There is no overheating issue for I have checked all temps cpu never went over 48 and 6870 with fan set higher never went over 60. The game that is the worst for the hard freezes is Bad company 2, seems when I stop moving or a big explosion occurs in front of me is when it hard freezes. So i pulled the 6870 and replaced it with my 285 and it works perfectly fine again, and note my 285 is more power hungry than the 6870 is as well.
I have personally come to the conclusion that I got a bad card, I am just curious if someone else could comment on this issue. I have been gaming on PC since 1991 and have had 7 different pc's since then and have been building my own rigs for the past 7 years for myself family and friends and have never had an issue like this before that I could not figure out, that is why I am considering the video card being faulty. All comments are appreciated thank you.
September 14, 2011 12:51:07 PM

Can you try the 6870 in an other system ?
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:05:17 PM

You are most likely having a heat and/or power problem that is affecting the GPU (HD6870). Since the HD6870 is not really a power hog, nor does it generate tons of heat, you are really down to a defective GPU or a slowly dying PSU. How old is the power supply?
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2011 1:20:37 PM

This power supply and the entire system is only 2 months old, I guess it is possible that the psu could be a problem but I didn't give that to much thought due to the 285 working fine with it. I usually have an extra pc around but my parents pc died and I gave them my old one till I get the one they have fixed. I don't know if this would help but it makes a radiating noise thru the speakers when it locks as well just like in this video this guy made. Hope this ain't breaking the rules by posting this video sorry if it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpyaJ3-CoOM This guy stated that it was his ram and I already checked mine and underclocked it and still happens only with the 6870 so I also ruled out the ram.
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:25:37 PM

2 choices at the point, GPU or PSU.
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:33:00 PM

cellhousesgt said:
First my system specs

cpu: Core I7 2600k not overclocked
Ram: 8 gigs G skill 1866 on the mb support list
PSU: corsair 850 Watt TX
MB: Asus Sabertooth P67
HD: single 2 TB 64 mb cache 6 GBPS seagate

Ok so I upgraded from a GTX 285 which worked perfectly in games to an XFX 6870 black edition and all games seem to hard freeze my computer after several minutes to a half hr of gameplay. I have tried drivers 11.1-11.8 along with the ones on the CD and they all freeze my pc during gameplay. I have had the card for 6 days and have not been able to play longer than a half hr with this card overall.
I have updated my bios all mb drivers and have did a complete reinstall of windows and still no luck. There is no overheating issue for I have checked all temps cpu never went over 48 and 6870 with fan set higher never went over 60. The game that is the worst for the hard freezes is Bad company 2, seems when I stop moving or a big explosion occurs in front of me is when it hard freezes. So i pulled the 6870 and replaced it with my 285 and it works perfectly fine again, and note my 285 is more power hungry than the 6870 is as well.
I have personally come to the conclusion that I got a bad card, I am just curious if someone else could comment on this issue. I have been gaming on PC since 1991 and have had 7 different pc's since then and have been building my own rigs for the past 7 years for myself family and friends and have never had an issue like this before that I could not figure out, that is why I am considering the video card being faulty. All comments are appreciated thank you.

I have a brand new gtx 580 and im having the same experience...The 580 replaced 2 GTX 460 s in sli , which were even worse. I also have a gtx 285 which doesnt have the problem either. My sys i7 960, 12 gigs ram, 1000 watt psu , no overclocking at all on a gigabyte x58 usb3 board. Problem never shows in any benchmarks, only in certain games which are dx9 based.
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:51:56 PM

I guess at this point with my system I am going to lean towards a bad GPU. I don't know if I have bad luck with video cards but the 6870 would be my 10th video card I have purchased in my years of gaming and if it is bad would make the third one I had to RMA. Unless it is a program like Realtek audio, my G930 headset software or something else that is plagueing me with this freeze I think in my experience I am going to RMA the GPU and go from there. Just as a note that the 6870 when it did play BC2 ran it extremely well compared to my 285 and I am disappointed I have to return it as I feel I don't have any other option.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:06:42 PM

cellhousesgt said:
I guess at this point with my system I am going to lean towards a bad GPU. I don't know if I have bad luck with video cards but the 6870 would be my 10th video card I have purchased in my years of gaming and if it is bad would make the third one I had to RMA. Unless it is a program like Realtek audio, my G930 headset software or something else that is plagueing me with this freeze I think in my experience I am going to RMA the GPU and go from there. Just as a note that the 6870 when it did play BC2 ran it extremely well compared to my 285 and I am disappointed I have to return it as I feel I don't have any other option.

I think its something to do with DX 11 Gpus and Dx9 based games , have you tried Win XP , im using Win 7 64 atm and did have my gtx 460s in sli on Win XP without any problems ... so maybe win7 is a problem . gtx 460s in sli on win 7 64 were a lot worse than my single gtx 580 .Also had anomalies when playing BC2, tried many drivers with different results..worst tho is playing APB reloaded major hiccups until i installed the 580 , but still have some annoying freeze ups during explosions or lots of gunfire and vehicle crashes. Good luck
m
l
!