ATI vs. Nvidia.Which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harkirat_5

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello,
I want to buy a new GAMING CPU, but I have a confusion with the GRAPHIC card..So my question is Which is the best graphic card ATI or NVIDIA.....Also tell me the difference between both company's graphic cards......!

Thanks! in advance.

Solution
both are good gpu's but it depend on models suppose if you take gtx 460 1gb and ati hd 6850 so 6850 is the best of its higher memory clock,better stream processor and good texture unit yes its also depend on games that what resolution you play at.

NVIDIA used cuda core while ATI used stream processors this is a version they used for their companies.
NVIDIA support sli and ATI support crossfire its mean to fit 2 or 3 graphics card on your motherboard but it depend on mobo that how many pci-e slot available.so the meaning is same but the names is different

pro-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
both are good gpu's but it depend on models suppose if you take gtx 460 1gb and ati hd 6850 so 6850 is the best of its higher memory clock,better stream processor and good texture unit yes its also depend on games that what resolution you play at.

NVIDIA used cuda core while ATI used stream processors this is a version they used for their companies.
NVIDIA support sli and ATI support crossfire its mean to fit 2 or 3 graphics card on your motherboard but it depend on mobo that how many pci-e slot available.so the meaning is same but the names is different

Solution

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

AMD cards have a lot more ALU's and can push a lot more mathematical data through for brute force of gpu acceleration // mining -- folding@home(better architecture for raw power). When it comes to games, they both have their fortes depending on your budget.

While nVidia often has better drivers, I find the AMD more powerful. What would you rather drive, A Viper or a Super Charged Mini Cooper? If you chose the Viper get an AMD, if you chose Mini choose nVidia :)

I guess you're answer may depend on which movie you saw more recently, Fast and Furious or the Italian Job :p

AMD cards have a lot more ALU's and can push a lot more mathematical data through for brute force of gpu acceleration // mining -- folding@home(better architecture for raw power). When it comes to games, they both have their fortes depending on your budget.

if i remember correctly nvidia cards still an obvious choice over AMD cards for folding@home. they have the raw power but to properly utilize the raw power is different story altogether. that's why nvidia still holds over 80% of professional market even though the card from the red camp have more raw power based on the specification.

While nVidia often has better drivers, I find the AMD more powerful. What would you rather drive, A Viper or a Super Charged Mini Cooper? If you chose the Viper get an AMD, if you chose Mini choose nVidia :)

if AMD is more powerful HD6970 has long leave GTX580 in the dust in gaming performance :D

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Lets be honest here.The only advantage AMD has over nvidia atm is eyefinity and price (only in case of 5770).NVIDIA has so much more features than AMD like physx,3d vision,better driver support and also TWIMTBP.In fact from an interview between geforce.com spokesperson and Patrick from DICE,in case of bf3 he actually stated that the game was made to be run on a gtx 580 SLI setup and they were testing the game on nvidia cards.All factors considered I would go with nvidia over AMD any time (except when the price of AMD card is too good lol)

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Is a Ferrari better than a Lamborghini?

You are asking a question that will only start a flame war.

Things to consider:

1. your budget,
2. your monitor resolution,
3. are you going to run Crossfire/SLI?

Choose a card from both companies based on your budget. Look up benchmarks/reviews for those cards. Tom's is a good starting point.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,3018.html

Generally speaking, AMD has a better price/performance, however NVIDIA cards perform better IMO.

AMD release monthly drivers while NVIDIA release on a need to basis. I felt AMD drivers were sometimes rushed to beat the deadline. Things that were fixed were broken again the next. NVIDIA drivers seem more stable and polished.

I have used BOTH ATI and NVIDIA in single and multi-monitor setups.

I am currently using NVIDIA in surround.

Overall, their cards are comparable; BUT there is often some factor of your particular application that favors one or the other. For example, bitcoin mining only makes sense on AMD cards, because nVidia does so poorly that you'll use more power than you earn. If your games use PhysX and you like having it, then nVidia is your only choice. NVidia has a more accessible 3D implementation as well. Certain games favor one or the other; it really matters what you plan to run, which is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.