Recent crossfire issue - 3 GPU difficulty; but no issue with 2 GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del52

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hi all,

I run a 3 GPU crossfire setup with ASUS 5870s.

My other system specs are basically as follows:

Asus Rampage III Extreme
Intel i-7 950 CPU (but OC'd)
12GB OCZ Reaper 2000
OCZ PCI-e RevoDrive (120G)
WD Velociraptor 600GB
NB: The video cards are not OC'd

The difficulty:

I have been running the latest AMD drivers and Catalyst 11.8. However, without warning, in all full screen games (i.e. when crossfire is working), I am now getting a very significant 'rolling' of the screen, much like a vhold issue, or it could be perhaps described as severe horizontal flickering. It is extremely pronounced, and effectively makes games unplayable with 3 GPU crossfire enabled.

However, the issue does not exist with only 2 GPU crossfire (not at all).

I had thought this might be a hardware fault, but each of my three cards seem to be operating without issue (on their own).

I have tried downgrading Catalyst etc (just to version 11.6). I have otherwise attempted multiple driver wipes (the usual course of removing all installations, manually deleting any leftover files, cleaning out the registry and driver sweeper) and re-installations, but this has not helped the situation. I have also attempted adjusting the settings in Catalyst, but this has not proved productive either.

Accordingly, I am looking for any suggestions people may have - I am somewhat stumped, particularly as it seemed to start all of a sudden, when everything seemed fairly stable.

Thanks all for any assistance you may be able to offer, please let me know if you need any further details.

Regards,
Del52

Solution
Have you tried to interchange the CF Cable that connect the 3 Cards?
Use the one that you're using with the 2nd & 3rd card in place of the one that Connected 1 & 2. Remove the third card and see if the flickering happens with just 2 card and the 2nd CF Cable.
Have you tried to interchange the CF Cable that connect the 3 Cards?
Use the one that you're using with the 2nd & 3rd card in place of the one that Connected 1 & 2. Remove the third card and see if the flickering happens with just 2 card and the 2nd CF Cable.

Solution

cuecuemore

Distinguished

+1. No experience with Crossfire, but it sounds like the symptoms of a bad SLI bridge, that's exactly what happened to me.

Del52

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions.

In particular, alyoshka (and Cuecuemore) - I had a spare bridge and switched it out for the one connecting cards 2 and 3, and this resolved the problem completely. It had not occurred to me that the x-fire bridge might be the issue. Thanks a lot for the idea!

Much appreciated,
Del52

Status
Not open for further replies.