Fx-4170 or Fx-6200 and which Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

I would agree with these other folks, really a core i5 is plenty for now and the foreseeable future. You could wait for ivy bridge, but you'll just have to pay higher prices for what I imagine would 5 -10 % performance improvement. I say Core i5 2500k/Z68 mobo and 8 gigs of ram. And enjoy your awesome machine.

I bought a crosshair I board and it was the...

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Wait for Ivy Bridge. I bought an FX-6100 + Gigabyte 990FX combo. I love the motherboard, but the CPU is pretty pathetic. If you need something right away, pick up an i3-2120 and an ivybridge-ready motherboard.

On that note, if anyone is interested in purchasing a used FX-6100 CPU... :)

I would agree with these other folks, really a core i5 is plenty for now and the foreseeable future. You could wait for ivy bridge, but you'll just have to pay higher prices for what I imagine would 5 -10 % performance improvement. I say Core i5 2500k/Z68 mobo and 8 gigs of ram. And enjoy your awesome machine.

I bought a crosshair I board and it was the worst $240 I've ever spent. And Asus customer support is horrible. I have a Gigabyte 990FX UD5 which I love and is quite stable.

Solution

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

^+1

Yea i can agree with claec, I love my 990FX board but the CPU just isnt what i was expecting. So i'll be going Intel next i think. unless AMD can actually kick some A on they're next CPU's. I will be spend the extra for a Intel chip. As for the Mobo ill either get Sabertooth or ROG.

khoaaa

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I was asking because the fx-4170 and fx-6200 is out soon i think because it is available on cyberpowerpc.com..so i figure it be on sale online after.

On the other hand if i get an i3 now just to have a processor, then replace it when they Ivy Bridge come out. The i3 would go into closet. waste $70.

Status
Not open for further replies.