ATI Radeon HD 4890

to:
Phenom II X6 1100t @3.3GHz
16GB DDR3 9-9-9-24 1.5v 1600MHz
GTX 560 Ti

and I kept the mobo the same throughout:
MSI NF750-G55
w/ two 500GB SATAII 7200RPM HDDs in RAID0 configuration

When I swapped out the pieces, my first issue was the lack of video output. I checked all the components, and it turned out to be the CPU, I needed to flash new BIOS for it to be supported on my mobo. After booting via USB and flashing the BIOS, I now got video.

When I flashed my BIOS, the RAID configuration was reset and the two drives previously in striped configuration were pulled apart. After I got the CPU support, I re-configured the array. I loaded up my previous Windows 7 install, popped in the video card driver CD, installed drivers, when I was prompted for a restart, I restarted. At first sight of the Windows 7 startup orbs, my computer crashed.
I have been trying different things, and every time I start up it is a different BSOD error. Safe mode crashes as well, and I know I have all drivers up to date.

I ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic and the test came back with hardware errors. I pulled the new RAM and popped in 1 stick of my old. Still, every time I start up, BSOD. If memory isn't an issue, that leaves drivers and the CPU. I can't imagine it being drivers (Safe mode crashes as well, and sometimes even the startup repair.) but these errors began immediately after I installed the graphics driver, so it is a huge possibility.

Now, about the CPU, 1100T, I read somewhere about the CPU having an onboard memory controller, and that the CPUs memory controller could be bad? I'm not sure what they were talking about.

I checked to make sure the memory I bought was compatible with Phenom II processors, and it was.

I cannot post the dump info as the OS will not load.

Any ideas?

mttcanales

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
UPDATE: I ruled out the RAM and Video Card (swapped out for spares, problem exists)
and I just swapped the CPU for my old one and no BSOD so far.

I guess the CPU isn't liking my mobo?
1100t and my mobo is nf750-g55

There is a specific BIOS update that gives it compatibility. I ran that, and it fixed that first issue I had so I figured that resolved the compatibility issue but perhaps not, due to the CPU causing the errors.

What is the next step in getting this darn CPU to work with this mobo?

Should I get a new motherboard? HALP

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Listen, sometimes the power phases are responsible for bsod. 4+1 power phases, if i may be so bold, 4 cores on that is impressive.
Try installing windows on it from scratch. It could be anything from mobo-ram incompatibility to power phases to bad drivers between 4 core and 6 core. If your computer doesn't make it through win7 installation then i would bet on the power phases.
CPUs are tough cookies to get bad, so i am betting on your mobo being weak.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
From what I have read, though the MB will support your CPU, it may not support all it's features. Seems only 6m of the 9m cache can be supported (even after bios updates). I figure you are trying to install the 64 bit Win7 given the 16g of memory. This may be a problem for the bios as well. Yes if it is within your budget get a new MB that is 100% compatible with all the parts you own. Save the additional wasted time and aggravation. GL

Hi, you had "ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic and the test came back with hardware errors. " this would have corrupted a windows install. If you have not re-installed from scratch suggest you do so. Then follow service install from microsoft then from video card, etc. Get the microsoft win7 service in first. Sometimes blue screen can be incompatibilities between software expecting a dot-net version and finding another, etc.

Any chance the blue screen is calling out a program name? If you google the name it'll tell you which driver and you can play with various versions...

Did the MSI NF750-G55 come with any chipset drivers? Sometimes windows misinstalls drivers for MB, network, etc. and that can cause bluescreen. e.g. if you have a PCI wireless card or sound card install those drivers from manufacturer.