Phantasy Star Universe officially confirmed MMORPG

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of game
Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a sequel to
PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.

www.the-magicbox.com

Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be coming to
PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game will
support up to 65 players simultaneously.

- UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is scheduled to
launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2 and
Xbox.
11 answers Last reply
More about phantasy star universe officially confirmed mmorpg
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    shootemup wrote:
    > interesting, thanks for posting this info. I'm hoping Phantasy Star
    > Universe contains a strong story, and a strong offline RPG component
    (PSV?)
    > unlike any of the PSO games.

    I liked the offline in PSO, but the thing of it was you had to go
    through the offline quests and read all the message capsules to get the
    story. A lot of people just blew off the messages and had no real idea
    what was going on.

    - Jordan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
    > There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of game
    > Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a sequel to
    > PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.
    >
    > www.the-magicbox.com
    >
    > Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be coming to
    > PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game will
    > support up to 65 players simultaneously.
    >
    > - UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is scheduled to
    > launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2 and
    > Xbox.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    "shootemup" <shootemups11@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
    > > There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of game
    > > Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a sequel to
    > > PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.
    > >
    > > www.the-magicbox.com
    > >
    > > Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be coming to
    > > PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game will
    > > support up to 65 players simultaneously.
    > >
    > > - UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is scheduled to
    > > launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2 and
    > > Xbox.
    > >

    > interesting, thanks for posting this info. I'm hoping Phantasy Star
    > Universe contains a strong story, and a strong offline RPG component
    (PSV?)
    > unlike any of the PSO games.

    Ok, although I'm very interested in this game, isn't sega dooming itself to
    fail by releasing this type of game right at the very end of this
    generation??.

    Now getting a beast like this as a launch or close-to-launch for the next
    gen could be fantastic for them...... but then again, we are talking about
    sega......

    Wurm
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    Wurm wrote:
    > "shootemup" <shootemups11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
    > > > There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of
    game
    > > > Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a
    sequel to
    > > > PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.
    > > >
    > > > www.the-magicbox.com
    > > >
    > > > Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be
    coming to
    > > > PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game
    will
    > > > support up to 65 players simultaneously.
    > > >
    > > > - UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is
    scheduled to
    > > > launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2
    and
    > > > Xbox.
    > > >

    > > interesting, thanks for posting this info. I'm hoping Phantasy
    Star
    > > Universe contains a strong story, and a strong offline RPG
    component
    > (PSV?)
    > > unlike any of the PSO games.
    > >

    > Ok, although I'm very interested in this game, isn't sega dooming
    itself to
    > fail by releasing this type of game right at the very end of this
    > generation??.
    >
    > Now getting a beast like this as a launch or close-to-launch for the
    next
    > gen could be fantastic for them...... but then again, we are talking
    about
    > sega......
    >
    > Wurm

    well.. atleast the PS3 is backwards compatible. Also, they're probably
    going to do the same thing as FFXI and make it cross-platform with PC.
    Dunno about the XBOX version though.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:d1mum2$6am$1@dns3.cae.ca...

    > "shootemup" <shootemups11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
    >> > There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of game
    >> > Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a sequel to
    >> > PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.
    >> >
    >> > www.the-magicbox.com
    >> >
    >> > Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be coming to
    >> > PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game will
    >> > support up to 65 players simultaneously.
    >> >
    >> > - UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is scheduled to
    >> > launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2 and
    >> > Xbox.
    >> >

    >> interesting, thanks for posting this info. I'm hoping Phantasy Star
    >> Universe contains a strong story, and a strong offline RPG component
    > (PSV?)
    >> unlike any of the PSO games.
    >>

    > Ok, although I'm very interested in this game, isn't sega dooming itself
    > fail by releasing this type of game right at the very end of this
    > generation??.
    >
    > Now getting a beast like this as a launch or close-to-launch for the next
    > gen could be fantastic for them...... but then again, we are talking about
    > sega......
    >
    > Wurm

    I don't know about anyone else but I never buy a console at release I always
    wait 2 or 3 years for the price to drop. The PSP may be an exception to
    that rule though. My point being that I will continue to play and buy games
    for my PS2.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    Sean Scott wrote:

    > I don't know about anyone else but I never buy a console at release I
    always
    > wait 2 or 3 years for the price to drop. The PSP may be an exception
    > that rule though. My point being that I will continue to play and
    buy games
    > for my PS2.

    I agree if there's a lack of compelling titles (PS2), but when there's
    a killer ap I jump as soon as possible (Halo, Eternal Darkness, Wipeout
    Pure).

    Still I'm glad I have a PS2 for when God of War comes out. Looks like
    the first truly next gen PS2 game.

    - Jordan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.phantasy-star (More info?)

    Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >shootemup wrote:
    >> interesting, thanks for posting this info. I'm hoping Phantasy Star
    >> Universe contains a strong story, and a strong offline RPG component
    >(PSV?)
    >> unlike any of the PSO games.
    >
    >I liked the offline in PSO, but the thing of it was you had to go
    >through the offline quests and read all the message capsules to get the
    >story. A lot of people just blew off the messages and had no real idea
    >what was going on.

    I read all the PSO messages and was reasonably satisfied with the
    story.

    --
    "Well, of course I would never use a preposition to finish a sentence up
    with, because it might be difficult to make sense out of, and after all,

    > Wurm wrote:
    >> "shootemup" <shootemups11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
    > game
    > sequel to

    > coming to
    > will

    > scheduled to
    > and
    >> > >

    >> > interesting, thanks for posting this info. I'm hoping Phantasy
    > Star
    >> > Universe contains a strong story, and a strong offline RPG
    > component
    >> (PSV?)
    >> > unlike any of the PSO games.
    >> >

    >> Ok, although I'm very interested in this game, isn't sega dooming
    > itself to
    >> fail by releasing this type of game right at the very end of this
    >> generation??.
    >>
    >> Now getting a beast like this as a launch or close-to-launch for the
    > next
    >> gen could be fantastic for them...... but then again, we are talking
    > about
    >> sega......
    >>
    >> Wurm
    >
    > well.. atleast the PS3 is backwards compatible. Also, they're probably
    > going to do the same thing as FFXI and make it cross-platform with PC.
    > Dunno about the XBOX version though.

    PC and PS2 for sure. No go on the Xbox. Stupid infrastructure.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

    "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message news:<1111410423.590803.56990@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
    > There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of game
    > Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a sequel to
    > PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.
    >
    > www.the-magicbox.com
    >
    > Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be coming to
    > PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game will
    > support up to 65 players simultaneously.
    >
    > - UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is scheduled to
    > launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2 and
    > Xbox.

    Bel.. where the hell are you when a new legit Sega topic is posted ^_^
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

    "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message news:<1111410423.590803.56990@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
    > There has been a large amount of speculation as to what kind of game
    > Phantasy Star Universe is from a single player PS game to a sequel to
    > PSO to a MMORPG. Atleast that question is now answered.
    >
    > www.the-magicbox.com
    >
    > Sega confirmed that the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe will be coming to
    > PlayStation 2 and PC in Japan sometimes this winter. The game will
    > support up to 65 players simultaneously.
    >
    > - UNCONFIRMED: EGM reported that Phantasy Star Universe is scheduled to
    > launch in US on November 20, the game will be heading to both PS2 and
    > Xbox.

    Here's the EGM interview with Yuji Naka which might clear up some
    questions. I don't see the "unconfirmed" information that magicbox was
    talking about though.. unless it's a different article.

    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3138974
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message news:<_vidnYAQOsqFW9_fRVn-rQ@comcast.com>...
    > > This is also assuming that MS and Sega could come to some revenue
    > > sharing model, whereby MS gets more because they're sustaining the
    > > cost of running the servers. MS might decide to take a loss just to
    > > put out content, but Sega isn't likely to.
    >
    > I understand what you are saying but how do you explain Blizzard's fee free
    > MMORPG's? I would venture a guess to say that their multiplayer titles have
    > been some of the most successful in the industry.

    huh? World of Warcraft is free? wasn't aware of that. Unless you're
    talking about Diablo, which isn't a MMORPG

Console Gaming Mmorpg Games Video Video Games