Sapphire HD 6870 for $175 .. what you say ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameem 1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
on newegg.com i found the the cheapest HD 6870 1G card :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

it looks small and flimsy compared to the AMD hd 6870 .. and the core clock is not listed and i can't find any benchmarks for this card .. only the flix and the vapor which cost more .. sapphire cards looks flimsy always :kaola:

my budget for the card is $175 not after rebate .. should i go with sapphire 6870 or a gtx 460 or hd 6850 ?
am planing to play maxout games like BF3 and mw3 and crysis 2 @1080 if that possible with 30 minimum fps

system:
CPU: phenom ii x4 945
PSU: crosaire 600w
mobo: biostar 780
ram: 4G

Solution

I run at 1920x1080, with a Core i5 760 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, on an ASUS P7H55M-LE board. Ultra LSP750 PSU (not a very good PSU, but I don't push it to the limit, so it runs fine, a good 450 Watt PSU will run a single 6870 fine) I run my card at stock clocks, I don't bother overclocking, as the 6870 has little headroom for it, and there are few games where I would really benefit from doing so. My card also has a locked voltage control, so you won't be able to bump up your...

That is because this card does not use the reference cooler designed by AMD, it uses a custom cooler built by Sapphire. I own a very similar 6870 myself, main difference is mine has 2 display port connectors at the back in addition to HDMI and 2 DVI, and it performs as well as a 6870 should. It's certainly not a bad price for that particular card. If you are looking for a really quiet cooler, you may want to track down a different model, the stock fan speeds can be somewhat inadequate if the card is running at 100% load, and revving the fan above 50% does make it a bit loud. Then again, I like to try and keep the temps below 80 degrees, if you are okay with your load temps creeping up to the low 80s, you'll be okay.

hameem 1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
can you tell me how much FPS you get at all the games you play ..(crysis 2 ,Just cas2 ..etc) a list of games and fps, cuz i can't find benchmarks for it :(
and how much you can overclock it ? and whats you CPU ? and resolution ? and PSU .. thanx :)

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
5 bucks more gets you a 560 non ti if going nvidia doesnt bother...only reason I suggest this option is because its a great overclocker. If this helps, look at my post here. Also not sure about the coolng on the 6870s. Hope it helps in a way, providing another option. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/326412-33-keep-gtx560#bas

I have benchmarks there for Metro, 3Dmark11, Crysis 2 vid, etc...Maybe someone with a 6870 further input on this post and compare it to my 560 to give you a better idea...Good luck!

I run at 1920x1080, with a Core i5 760 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, on an ASUS P7H55M-LE board. Ultra LSP750 PSU (not a very good PSU, but I don't push it to the limit, so it runs fine, a good 450 Watt PSU will run a single 6870 fine) I run my card at stock clocks, I don't bother overclocking, as the 6870 has little headroom for it, and there are few games where I would really benefit from doing so. My card also has a locked voltage control, so you won't be able to bump up your voltage to try to get a better OC.

I don't have Crysis 2 so I can't benchmark that for you. Just Cause 2: Concrete Jungle runs at an average framearate of 51.37 FPS with all settings on high/very high, bit with no AA, and no SSAO. You can turn AA and SSAO on and still get playable framerates, though I wouldn't crank them up to maximum, those things cause can cause a huge framerate drop.

Crysis with all settings on very high, no AA is just barely playable with my system, framerates usually stay in the 30s, though certain circumstances may cause the framerate may drop to 26 to 28 FPS (mainly the particle effects emitted from the flares cause it to drop below 30, close up shots of the plane in the opening cinematic also cause the framerate to drop below 30 for some reason)

Metro 2033, with all settings high, AAA, AFx16, Tessellation on, Advanced DoF off, gets an average framerate of about 30 FPS on the benchmark, it does dip a bit below thirty at times during the benchmark. In practice when actually playing the game, it does usually stay above 30 with little trouble, the benchmark is more demanding than 95% of the actual game. Very high settings might be playable for most of the game, but I haven't tried them outside of the benchmark.

Various games based on the Unreal engine like Singularity, BioShock, Mass Effect, your standard console ports, I easily get a solid 60FPS at all times with maximum settings. Most of these games will rarely drop below 100FPS with Vsync off. Dead Space 1 and 2 are the same, the framerate never drops below 80FPS on maximum, and most of the time it's above 100 without Vsync. Source Engine games like Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead also have similar performance, solid 60FPS is quite easily achieved, with maximum settings and 4x MSAA.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Solution

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The 6870 is in-between the 560 and 560 Ti. It's not a great overclocker but it's not bad either.

perfrel_1920.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.