Sign in with
Your question

Problems with higher end vid cards and crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2011 7:58:25 PM

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a GTX 260 to a GTX 570 I ordered from new egg. The card ran but the system would crash about 5-10 minutes of any gaming. I then RMA'd the card and got a saphire 6950. Between this time I threw the 260 back in and gamed just fine. Upon receiving the radeon I wiped all of the nvidia drivers, installed new catalyst drivers... low and behold the same crashes keep appearing, only after about 15-20 mins this time. Figuring it was a problem with the power supply I just ordered and installed a Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W. Boot up bad company 2 again and what do ya know?? Crashes the entire system after 20 minutes. Im really running out of options here. Iv reformatted, updated my bios, switched to different rams, etc.... I have no clue where to to go from here.

My other system specs are-
CPU- Core2quad q9400

Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775

RAM- 4gb G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (brand new)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 8:44:05 PM

What exactly happens when your computer crashes? Is it a bsod, black screen, freeze, what?

Have you tried doing a complete windows re-install?
September 14, 2011 10:18:46 PM

No blue or black screen. For example my last freeze was just as I was dying in a tank explosion. Screen then froze there and then the replay of the last sound bit.

As noted I reformatted (windows 7 professional) after first replacing with the 570 gtx about 2-3 weeks ago to no avail
Related resources
September 14, 2011 10:20:21 PM

Also do you guys know of any other reputable websites such as toms that I could go spread this message on to see if I get any other feedback?
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 10:35:42 PM

It may also be a bad stick of RAM or an unstable overclock on the CPU (or even if not overclocked). There are other things that can cause the problem. I'm going to guess it's not the video card, unless your case has really bad air flow and they are all overheating on you.
September 14, 2011 10:53:52 PM

I definitely dont think its the case as the gauge on the case usually sits at around 26C while gaming. Really wish I could see how hot the cpu is getting when it crashes but I really dont think thats the issue. Is there a chance a screwed mobo or cpu could be doing this even if nothing happens with the 260 in?
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 11:03:56 PM

Did you put the 260 in after the issues with the new cards? Does it still run stable?

You may want to check to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2011 11:09:48 PM

^^, also a RAM issue could cause an unstable system, based on your experience with different time frames of crashing.
September 15, 2011 5:19:21 AM

Ran perfectly stable with the 260 back in, and I have updated my BIOS to the latest settings so I dont think thats it.

Im thinking about doing a little frankenstein work and switching my roommates mobo/cpu with mine as well as testing the different rams we have. Mind you I have also tried switching from the 4 gb of ram I just purchased to the 2gb of ram I had before with the same issue so Im skeptical of that.
September 15, 2011 6:37:39 AM

For what its worth I ran the Intel diagnostic tool and that came out just fine so I dont think its the cpu.
September 15, 2011 7:46:52 AM

> if you oc, back to stock clock (eliminate oc stability issue)
> try fresh install windows, drivers and only install the game than play (eliminate software issue)
> play with side case opened and put fan profile 100% (eliminate temp. issue)
September 15, 2011 3:39:40 PM

>Never oc'd so not an issue
>Will try this again but am skeptical as it didnt seem to work before
>Monitored temps on afterburner and they never got above 65C as far as I could tell before it crashed again.

It seems to happen only when I die... so there must be some sort of error going on. Tried disabling all other sound drivers besides my HTO but maybe Ill try a silent around and see what happens
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 4:55:51 PM

If you try switching out the mobo/cpu, you'll BSOD unless it's the exact same ones. The OS will be looking for the same hardware and if it's different windows will give you a blue screen on startup.
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 5:14:03 PM

borisof007 said:
If you try switching out the mobo/cpu, you'll BSOD unless it's the exact same ones. The OS will be looking for the same hardware and if it's different windows will give you a blue screen on startup.

That's not always true. I've actually swapped from an ASUS to an Gigabyte motherboard recently and it just loaded new drivers at boot up.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 5:19:14 PM

So it only matters that it's the same CPU then?
a c 216 U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 5:50:52 PM

borisof007 said:
So it only matters that it's the same CPU then?

Possibly. I transferred everything, just a motherboard change.
!