Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte motherboard won't get past error 53

Last response: in Motherboards
December 16, 2012 5:34:22 PM

Hello,

I'm am (for the first time) putting together a new computer. It has a Gigabyte A-Z77X-UD3H motherboard, an Intel I3770K processor and two Kingston 4-gig memory sticks. When I power I up I never see anything on the monitor. The LED display on the motherboard reaches a point where 53 is displayed for a while and then the system powers down. In about 10 seconds all this repeats. Any help greatly appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 1:44:12 AM

need to change device to clarify it.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:20:35 AM

mhickey said:
Hello,

I'm am (for the first time) putting together a new computer. It has a Gigabyte A-Z77X-UD3H motherboard, an Intel I3770K processor and two Kingston 4-gig memory sticks. When I power I up I never see anything on the monitor. The LED display on the motherboard reaches a point where 53 is displayed for a while and then the system powers down. In about 10 seconds all this repeats. Any help greatly appreciated.

Same motherboard, same problem. Haven't found a solution or a place where this "53" code is defined.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 3:40:25 AM

Try using one stick of RAM in the first slot (DDR3_1) and see if you get anything. Try both sticks like this. Then try in the other sockets. If this doesn't work try with no RAM in and see if you get error beeps. This is a memory initializatio error.
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:16:40 AM

I tried with 1 stick of ram, no sticks of ram, and no video card and it still powers up the same way. No beeps.

Motherboard power lights up, PSU fan spins, CPU fan spins for an instant then it shuts down, and tries to power up again.

The CPU fan kinda looks like it's having trouble starting up. It moves very slightly just as the power comes on, then does nothing.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 6:30:39 AM

Then it's probably a PSU problem or a faulty board. I would try another PSU if you can before you RMA the board.
m
l
December 20, 2012 8:55:33 PM

Fixed it... I did several things. I remounted CPU and motherboard and I found that I had incorrectly plugged a system fan into a DAJP1 3-pin connector. I don't know which did it, but HURRAY!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 9:03:00 PM

Good job!
m
l
December 20, 2012 9:36:50 PM

What I neglected to consider was the difficulty of moving my existing Windows 7 install to my new motherboard. This seems to be a real headache. I'm just going to order a new hard drive. I kinda need more space anyway.

I guess I'll swiddle my thumbs for the next 24 hours while Amazon ships me new HDD.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 9:57:01 PM

There shouldn't be a problem there unless you have 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit CPU. You should be able to plug the HDD right into a SATA port and it should boot.
m
l
December 20, 2012 10:07:51 PM

cball1311 said:
There shouldn't be a problem there unless you have 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit CPU. You should be able to plug the HDD right into a SATA port and it should boot.

Yeah, but it's 32-bit windows.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 10:14:20 PM

Happy hunting then. :D 
m
l
May 27, 2013 12:07:54 PM

Hello. I also had the Error Code 15/53 on a new install of a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5H, and went as far as requesting an RMA from Newegg which was accepted, but was able to undo it by removing every fan connected to the motherboard except for the CPU fan and System Fan 3, as well as the two onboard USB connections. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to install the Corsair H100i onto the motherboard, whose dummy cpu fan connection and two fan connectors was freezing the motherboard. I reinstalled the stock intel CPU fan for a i7 3770k, and everything on the motherboard is working now. I'm averaging 26c-33c work temps with a throw-away intel fan. Crazy, but true. I rescinded my RMA and am happy with the board now. GLTA
m
l
!