Student trying to fix PC

brutusthebear

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Good day to all who grace this thread, I am a student who's PC has decided to break right in the middle of my exam period. I am trying to fix and diagnose it myself any help you guys can offer is great, I am looking to learn from this experience so please link literature or relevant information, thanks!
I have already swung through the checklist posted elsewhere on this website and as far as I can tell I have accounted for what is listed there.

ibibl-lp mobo
24pin atx power
4pin atx cpu power
9 pin connection for reset power button etc

month ago computer started giving out every time I tried to turn it on 5s then it would restart, I eventually fixed this by taking out the mobo battery and then replacing it (same battery) I checked it's voltage and its still giving me 3v as expected.

jump to earlier yesterday, pc is off when i get home and wont respond to the power button despite the fact that it is recieving power from the psu ( I checked the psu with the paperclip test green to black and the fan of the psu starts and such) So this means that I should be able to start the pc from the 9pin that the powerbutton is connected to I go to do this but its not working (admittedly I could have been doing it wrong but I essentially tried a paperclip a knifeblade and a pairof scisors to bridge pins 8 and 7 and start the pc (doesnt work zzz)

So at this point im kind of stuck, I susepect mobo failure since the previous problem was solved via silly manipulation of mobo battery, how should I go about testing the mobo to confirm failure and is there any insight you guys can offer me (My local pc stores are actually jokes/hidden camera shows not knowing anything actually)
Here is some literature about my mobo
ipibl-lb http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01324212

Also if anyone knows a procedure for performing the 9 pin short that I can use (to make sure I was doing it right) please let me know.

Thanks in advance guys

Solution
Not much, other than swapping parts and test. It's definitely a power issue, since no fans are spinning, even when shorting the PSU green&black wires. However, the shorting test is not relevant for a power supply, as it might fail under load.
Try connecting a fan or two to the PSU molex and test again with the paperclip.
what and who makes your PSU and how old is it? I think your PSU has failed. If you push the power button and nthin happens it has most likely failed.

List the other components and make of your PC if you bought it from Best Buy, etc. You can purchase a replacement PSU cheaply.

brutusthebear

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

I am a second year chemistry student at my local university, as far as I can tell I have not actually been able to start the board I have not heard a peep out of any of the fans except for the PSU fan when bridging the green-black on the 24 pin

My PSU is likely 5-10 years old and the make is HIPRO model= D3057F3R

pc = HP pavillion a6535c
intel core 2 quad Q6600
Nvidia 9500 GS

Am I crazy for believing that my PSU has not failed, since there is a light on the back of my PC that lights up when the PC is plugged in, and the motherboard will not start when the 7 and 8 pin on my 9 pin are shorted on top of the fact that the PSU fan starts when paperclipping green to black.

brutusthebear

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks for your response, what kind of board issues should I be looking out for? What specifically can I do to confirm that my mobo has failed.

Not much, other than swapping parts and test. It's definitely a power issue, since no fans are spinning, even when shorting the PSU green&black wires. However, the shorting test is not relevant for a power supply, as it might fail under load.
Try connecting a fan or two to the PSU molex and test again with the paperclip.

Solution

brutusthebear

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

So I took a look at the fan cables which are usually drawing power from the mobo (connected to pins there) which means that the cabling is female, my problem is is that all the cables running from my PSU are also female and I have no idea how to attach the fan directly to the psu, help appreciated.

bretmh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I don't understand why you just don't get a new mobo, its super cheap.

sig.jpg

I still believe your PSU has failed. You have an HP and they install very poor power supplies that will fail. I have had that issue with a PC my wife bought from HP and the PSU died after 8 months and I replaced it and everything was fine.

brutusthebear

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

I want to believe!

a PSU replacement would surely be easier than a board one, I have a multimeter what voltage should I expect to be reading across the 4 pin cpu power atx

Also I finished wiring the cpu fan to the psu and the result is that the fan does not spin.
Here are so pictures just to make sure I did it right.
Wires I used (came from an ethernet cable) http://www.imagebam.com/image/248ec6226255272
The wiring job http://www.imagebam.com/image/ace1e5226255290

In the realm of replacing PSUs do I just need to match the voltage suported by my mobo?