Sign in with
Your question

Student wants to build highly upgradeable low cost PC

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2011 8:16:08 AM

----

Sorry, it was late when I created this thread and I couldn't find the proper place for it. I am a student who plays games and would like to build a PC that is better than the dino I have now. I would prefer a PC that is highly upgradeable in the future, has extra RAM slots, option to have 2 GFX cards...whatever.

Students/Gaming Build

Approximate Purchase Date: Feb. 2012 (Spring Semester)

Budget Range: $600 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming / surfing / photo editing / video editing (nothing spectacular here, just want to try it out)

Parts Not Required: I do not require a monitor, I'll just reuse my Gateway FPD1975W. No speakers required. No mouse required.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com tigerdirect.com amazon.com (i have accounts with all 3 and browse them often)

Parts Preferences: AMD preferred

Overclocking: Maybe, never done it before but have wanted to try it

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what this is, other than it has something to do with graphics...

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I own a bunch of games on Steam that I can't even play on this old PC like CS: Source, Half-Life 2, Audiosurf, Portal... Would like to be able to play those, and I'm hoping to get Diablo III when it comes out and would like to at least have decent graphics on that. I don't do heavy photo editing and have never done video editing but would like to be able to. If possible I also want to find a low cost laptop or netbook to surf and create office documents with so I can take my school work with me... I've had a hard time finding one at a decent price.
November 12, 2011 8:17:27 AM

I had a hard time finding the right category to put this in...please move if necessary.
m
l
November 12, 2011 10:48:30 AM

Man.. for the apps u want to use, is gonna be hard time to gather a pc that would superb in this apps areas within the budget.

Just for reference, which ur actual system?
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2011 11:07:20 AM

the main thing I want is acceptable functionality now, with the option to be mega badass later. my current rig can run photoshop cs5 and adobe flash, but no real decent games (not even counter strike: source, which is old)

current rig:
Athlon 2650e 1.60Ghz
1GB RAM
140GB HDD
m
l
November 12, 2011 12:09:42 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
November 12, 2011 7:06:13 PM

k1ll said:
the main thing I want is acceptable functionality now, with the option to be mega badass later. my current rig can run photoshop cs5 and adobe flash, but no real decent games (not even counter strike: source, which is old)

current rig:
Athlon 2650e 1.60Ghz
1GB RAM
140GB HDD

What's your monitor's resolution?
m
l
November 12, 2011 7:33:37 PM

1440x900
m
l
November 12, 2011 8:59:40 PM

you should put together an AMD FM1 quad core system. It probably has enough juice to run what you want at your resolution without adding a graphics card. if you find you need a card you can ad an inexpensive, compatible card to cross fire...... under $100.
m
l
!