My computer will not connect to the internet

Hi I just installed windows on my hdd and I tried to connect my computer to the internet through an ethernet cable and it did not work. I tried several cables to make sure it wasn't the cable that is messed up. The little red "X" in the bottom right of the screen is always there, and whenever I connect my ethernet cable to the internet, nothing happens, the "X" is always there. What am I supposed to do?

Thank you in advance.
17 answers Last reply
More about computer connect internet
  1. HI Using a router?
    If you right click the icon and choose Troubleshoot problems, what's the message?
  2. Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am using a router. The message that comes up after troubleshooting reads:

"Install a driver for your network adapter. Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."
  3. Then you have the answer. What motherboard? Is the controller listed in Device manager?
  4. alexoiu said:
    Then you have the answer. What motherboard? Is the controller listed in Device manager?

I'm not sure exactly what to do. The motherboard is GIGABYTE P67A-UD3-B3. No, I can't seem to find it under device manager.
  5. Download the LAN Realtek driver http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3765#dl
    and install it.
    What devices are listed under Network adaptes?
  6. I can't find the section 'network adapters.' All I see is "computer, disk drivers, display adapters, dvd/cd rom drives, IDE ATA.ATAPI controllers, keyboards, mice and other pointing devices, monitors, ports, processors, sound, system devices, and universal serial bus controllers."
  7. Then try installing the driver. Let's hope it's not a controller issue.
  8. I tried installing the driver, but "The Realtek Network Controller was not found."
  9. In BIOS is the Onboard H/W LAN enabled or disabled?
  10. It was enabled. It is weird because when I start my computer, it looks like it is trying to find a connection (little circle spinning) but then just becomes an "X"
  11. It is. try clearing the CMOS or updating the BIOS (take care cause it might render the board unusable if something goes wrong during the process). Or you can buy and install a PCI or an USB LAN adapter.
  12. Sorry I am not sure how to clear the CMOS?
  13. A method is by unplugging the power cord and removing the CMOS battery for few minutes. Or the board might have a switch for that.
  14. Ok I reset the CMOS. It still is not working. Another problem I have is my 560 Ti GPU, the fan is spinning on it but it is not being detected.

I think my motherboard is nearing the end of its life?

Thanks
  15. After clearing the CMOS, make sure that in BIOS the primary graphics is set to the PCIe .
    Did the network adapter work on the board?
  16. alexoiu said:
    After clearing the CMOS, make sure that in BIOS the primary graphics is set to the PCIe .
    Did the network adapter work on the board?

No its not working. I should try and reinstall windows? If not, I will just replace my motherboard.
  17. Not sure if reinstalling Windows would help, but try it. If not working, I suggest RMA-ing it. Or buy a network adapter.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Connection Computer Ethernet Card Cable Internet