I5 2500k warranty and 1600Mhz memory

Reading the forum, I caught from somewhere that when using faster then 1333Mhz memories with the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU, the CPU's warranty goes void. I did a quick Googleing and could not find any more info and there werent even much talk on that topic.

The reason is that I am building a new system and the 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz memories are with the same price but I don't want to loose the warranty for obvious reasons.

Can anyone confirm or deny it and possebly bring a source available?
13 answers Last reply
More about 2500k warranty 1600mhz memory
  1. IT doesn't go void. Just get a higher end board and you should be fine.
  2. But you do want the voltages to be 1.5v
  3. 1600 RAM will work just fine @ 1333 speeds. ;)

    No reason not to get the 1600 kit.
  4. Thanks a lot de5_roy, exactly what I was looking for.
  5. DDR3-1600 up to 1.65 volts is just fine for Sandy Bridge

    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

    Quote:
    Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.
  6. plekter said:
    Thanks a lot de5_roy, exactly what I was looking for.



    The tuning plan does cover RAM overclocking.
  7. ^ Jack
    The Intel spec sheet states 1.575 V MAX. Untill they change that they can disallow a RMA if 1.65 V Ram is used (and run at 1.65 V). Apparently they (at least some) of Intels people have been asking the question on RAM. There have been some statements (can't locate) that infact 1.65 Volts was/is a problem on some of the returns. There is a diff in the memory controller between SB and pre-SB cpus. And this is where the rub comes in.

    Although it was somehow expanded to cover Freq above 1333, I do think that is going overboard as long as the Voltage is within specs.

    Also I think I'd go by intel's statements verses a forum.

    @ anort3 - From what I read, As to covering OCing Memory, the Intel plan covers their CPU, not the memory. so you you get a ONE time free pass on NO Questions Asked - If using 1.65 V ram, it's covered (the CPU).

    But then, I'm usiing 16 Gigs DDR3-1600 CL7 @ 1.60 Volts with my I5-2500K since day one.
  8. RetiredChief said:
    ^ Jack
    The Intel spec sheet states 1.575 V MAX. Untill they change that they can disallow a RMA if 1.65 V Ram is used (and run at 1.65 V). Apparently they (at least some) of Intels people have been asking the question on RAM. There have been some statements (can't locate) that infact 1.65 Volts was/is a problem on some of the returns. There is a diff in the memory controller between SB and pre-SB cpus. And this is where the rub comes in.

    Although it was somehow expanded to cover Freq above 1333, I do think that is going overboard as long as the Voltage is within specs.

    Also I think I'd go by intel's statements verses a forum.

    @ anort3 - From what I read, As to covering OCing Memory, the Intel plan covers their CPU, not the memory. so you you get a ONE time free pass on NO Questions Asked - If using 1.65 V ram, it's covered (the CPU).

    But then, I'm usiing 16 Gigs DDR3-1600 CL7 @ 1.60 Volts with my I5-2500K since day one.



    Right, the plan does cover the CPU....if overclocking the memory damages the CPU. I didn't mean Intel's plan would cover my RAM ;)

    I too have run 1.6v DDR3 1600 cas 7 since day 1 and I bought a week after Sandy was released. Proximon's thread was the first I saw of warranties not being honored due to RAM speed.
  9. I've thought about tring the ram @ 5.75 V, as that's only 0.025V(1.6%) below reated voltage. And sense that is "with in" Intels specs" they'd have a hard time saying not covered. But then 25 bucks is chomp change for the protection.
  10. Thanks so much, I am building my first setup and this may have saved me hundreds of $$$!

    much thanks again.

    Aslo if you are interested in building a i5 2500k setup check these sits I found out:

    May help you out.. never know

    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/intel-extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/core-i5-processor-memory-0811-datasheet.html
    ----------------
    check out warranties if interested...

    http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/449714.htm

    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-009862.htm

    http://communities.intel.com/thread/25127
  11. Where can I actually buy the overclocking warranty for my 2600k though? :??:
  12. amuffin said:
    Where can I actually buy the overclocking warranty for my 2600k though? :??:



    Right here.

    http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5 Memory Product