Please Help: New computer with No PCI slot!

redphive

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I purchased a new Compaq Presario CQ5700Y from BestBuy and it runs great!

I went out to upgrade the graphics card and bought a PCI Nvidia 1GB GeForce.

I was so happy! :clapping:

Then I got home and opened my computer :blink:

NO PCI SLOT!

So what is my recourse if any? Can I buy an adapter? An external one? Is there anyway I can have a local computer person install a PCI slot? Is there any hope for me and my machine!?

Many thanks and blessings to any who can help! :thumbsup:

Also side note, would this computer run the graphics card OK even with the PCI slot, i.e. is power and processor good enough? From what I can tell on required specs I think so but not 100% certain. Thx!

redphive

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I now know that I do not have a 16x slot and I don't think I can put one in. That said: Do you think I will have power issues with this computer? I have an ADI Radion 3000 graphics card that is built in with the computer I purchased but I don't know where it is? Or how to replace it. So I don't have a 16x slot but I do have two of these smaller ones that are about a inch long? Can I plug a graphics card into them? Thanks again?

redphive

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I don't think the video memory is very high, 256? It struggles for games. I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161354

Would it work in my Compaq? Would I need a new power supply and if so where to buy that? I like the graphics card above but it is kinda pricy, I wish I could find something like it for less but I don't think that is possible. Thanks!!

It's a PCIe x16 slot you are looking for, but apparently don't have. Your motherboard has an integrated graphics chip on it and probably shares it's memory with the CPU.

I believe your only good move, if you plan to game with a good graphics card, is to take back the computer you purchased and look for one that can be upgraded, or already has a gaming graphics card installed. That system is not meant for gaming.