Terak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Greetings,

I recently found an old HD in my collection of bits and, to my surprise it was a 4Gb Maxtor.
It's only a UDMA33 and 5400 rpm, but I figure it would be a decent MP3 drive.

My BIOS recognizes the drive and I have deleted all partitions and re-partitioned it. When I tried to format in Windows 98 it locks up my computer.

So I formatted in DOS and for FAT32. However, my machine will still lock-up if I try to access the HD for more than a few seconds...
i.e. I can Explore the drive but if I try to install a program to it or copy a file to the HD I get lockup.

Any suggestions?
Regards,
Terak

The Rest:
AOpen AX6B (440BX) 133 MHz FSB
GeForce2 MX
128 Mb PC133
Quantum FB 7.6 Gb
Maxtor 4 Gb

G

check the jumpers..

is it running as a slave with the Quantum as master or is by itself with a different cable. If it's by itself, what type of cable ya using (is it a cable select? how many connectors does it have.. where'd you get it?)

There's probably a Maxtor disk utility you can use to check the drive.. (I don't know for sure I haven't looked). But if there's anything physically wrong with the drive, this might give you an idea.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

Terak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both the Quantum and the Maxtor are on the IDE1 controller.
The Quantum is master and the Maxtor is set to slave mode.

As for the cable, it's just a standard IDE cable. I'm not sure if it supports Cable Select options. But irregardless, the BIOS is able to see the drives in the correct positions (master/slave).

Do you expect the Cable Select Mode to work better than Master/Slave settings?

Terak

G

no cable select is not better.. usually picky as hell, which if you had a cable select cable might explain it.

>>But irregardless, the BIOS is able to see the drives in the correct positions (master/slave).<<

All the more reason it might be a funky cable, since everything seems to be set up properly at recognized it the bios, etc. But I would've said that more so if it had been on one by itself or using an IDE cable with one connector.. not the case here so I although it still might be the cable. It's not as likely a situation with the Quantum working properly for you on the same cable. Download and run the POWERMAX utitlity off a bootable floppy... see if the diagnostics on that will spot anything.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***