Sign in with
Your question

My second computer is hooked up wirelessly to my PC how do I bring it up on the

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 15, 2011 12:42:02 PM

Hello,
My second computer was enabled to be brought up on my PC, but after I took it back to factory settings I lost it .Can you tell me how to get it back on my PC?
March 15, 2011 1:35:33 PM

seglsmn said:
Hello,
My second computer was enabled to be brought up on my PC, but after I took it back to factory settings I lost it .Can you tell me how to get it back on my PC?

Assuming the drivers for the networking devices are back in place, it should be a simple matter of running the Network Setup Wizard in Control Panel. This procedure differs between XP, Vista and Windows 7 so we need some more details, please.

March 25, 2011 4:15:52 PM

I have windows 7. Is that the details you wanted?
Related resources
March 25, 2011 6:08:20 PM

seglsmn said:
I have windows 7. Is that the details you wanted?

Windows 7 complicates things slightly by the addition of the Homegroup facility. I suggest you ignore that and use the more conventional networking methods. Find the Network and Sharing Centre in Control Panel and scroll down the left hand pane for Networking. Follow the path to set it up but make sure you scroll through the screen full of options until you get to untick the requirement to password protect all the other computers in the network.

It's also worth noting that the Computer Browser Service doesn't seem to run as often in W7 as it did in XP so it may take a little longer for the computers to show in My Network Places. Don't make changes thinking you did something wrong if at first it doesn't seem to have worked - just wait a little longer.

March 26, 2011 1:30:26 PM

I am not computer savy enough to do what you told me. I went to network and sharing centre, but there was no left hand pane so I couldn't find networking and no screen full of options. I don't know what Computer Browser Service is or where to find it and I could not see My Network Places any where. I guess I will just have to have The Geek Squad come and do it because I sure can't.thank you so much for all you tried to do to help me.

Shirley
March 26, 2011 9:09:24 PM

The Geek Squad sounds expensive and I'm sure you can do it. If you can hang on for ten hours from the timestamp of this post until I'm on a Windows 7 machine, I'll post more specific help unless someone else does first. It's hard to visualise it from the XP system I'm on now.

April 2, 2011 3:29:03 AM

Yes, I will wait as I really want to get this taken care of.We had to go out of town for a few days, but I''m back now and will be waiting for you to get back to me
!