Help!!! please!!!

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
first off here are my specs:

asus p8z68-v pro
intel sandy bridge i7-2600k
16GB corsair vengeance (dont remember model number but it was on the QVL)
evga nvidia gtx 580
corsair 1200w
patriot pyro ssd

ok so my system was running flawlessly since i built it then today it out of no where acted up. in the last 24 hours all i have done is burn a couple blu rays and install some steam games i bought. then today i went and bought a R.A.T. 7 mouse and when i got home my computer was working fine. i put on some pandora while i was adjusting my new mouse before i hooked it up. then i unplugged my old mouse and plugged my new one in. and bam all usb ports stop working. no lights light up on the new mouse showing power and my lighted keyboard goes out. i unplug the keyboard and plug it back in and the lights come on but i noticed the numlock light didnt come on and the whole thing was unresponsive. same with the mouse. lights came on when i plugged it back in but nothing. music wasd still playing though. so i pressed the power button to let the system shut itself down but then it just sat there in shutdown for 30 min. so after deciding it wasnt gonna shut down i just held down the power and did it that way. when i turned it back on i chose start windows normally but it started up to a black screen so i shut it down again. this time it reccommended i do a system repair so i followed the prompts then it booted fine with a working mouse and keyboard. my first thought was a driver issue so i went to the mouse website and downloaded the latest driver. however during the driver installation all usb ports died again. i unplugged and plugged back in and the lights did the same thing as last time and i tried different ports but they r all unresponsive. the give power but thats it. so i shutdown again, and again it took so long i finally just held down the button. now i cant even log into my computer cuz its password protected at the login screen and the mouse and keyboard dont work at all cuz the usb ports r dead at bootup so that i cant log in. i dont have ps2 ports to try that so i feel pretty screwed. what do i do?

Sounds like the USB port might have a short in the wiring or connector --- try using a different USB port --- IF there is an electrical short in the USB connection it will cause all of the USB ports to stop working when something is plugged in and could cause problems like you are having -- If using a front panel USB port check the wiring that runs to it and ensure there are no breaks in the plastic coating that might be making contact with the case (happens often when running the wires to the front panel and they run against a sharp metal piece of the case)

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
if that were the case would the usb port my mouse is plugged into be working fine in the efi bios? i just checked to make sure legacy was enabled and my mouse and keyboard work like they should in the efi

4745454b

Titan
You're going to hate my answer, but it sounds like the USB ports on your board are fried. I've heard of people shorting them out while plugging things in before. Any chance you can RMA the board?

Edit: Ahhh, in that case I have no clue. Try a live OS and see if the problem remains? You might need to reload windows.

Whay you can try is to unplug the power supply from the wall and take out the cmos battery and wait a few minuites. then plug everything back in and power up , go into the bios and make sure that the drive with the OS on it is listed as first boot device. See if that helps you.

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
unfortunately i dont have a different power supply. its a corsair 1200ax gold, i would be really sad to think it is messing up. i do indeed hate that answer, i dont think i can do anything about the board cuz i go it back in august from frys. would the usb ports be fried though since it works in the efi?

4745454b

Titan
I would think not. If they were fried, then they are dead. They wouldn't work ever. If they work in bios, then they aren't fried. At least not in the way I am thinking.

Try a live CD of something. See if you can get some flavor of linux running and check for USB status there.

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
ok something new happened lol. as i was sifting through my room looking for my ubuntu cd my computer was sitting at login screen. being frustrated that i couldnt find my cd i smashed some keys on my keyboard and it typed lol. so i logged in. now my keyboard is working but no mouse and it says on my desktop that windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. should i use the keyboard to navigate to a restore point? or is there something else that might be better?

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
ok something new happened lol. as i was sifting through my room looking for my ubuntu cd my computer was sitting at login screen. being frustrated that i couldnt find my cd i smashed some keys on my keyboard and it typed lol. so i logged in. now my keyboard is working but no mouse and it says on my desktop that windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. should i use the keyboard to navigate to a restore point? or is there something else that might be better?

Since you shut down using the power switch --- Windows will think there was something wrong that caused the system to shut down incorrectly and when it boots the next time it will run several things to ensure no problems have corrupted things (ie. it will normally run a chkdsk on the HDD to ensure all files are intact, etc.) so that would be why it seemed unresponsive for awhile when booting and then showed the error recovery after it finished -- so a restore is probably not needed !

Are there other USB ports you could try the mouse in ? (perhaps switch the mouse and keyboard and see if the keyboard functions in the other USB port or if the mouse woks in the one the keyboard is working in !)

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
i actually did the restore cuz i had an older one from a couple nights ago when things were perfect and the restore fixed everything. i plugged in my new mouse and it works fine but when i try to install the latest driver from the website once again everything freezes. wtf is up with this driver thats doing this?

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
ok so here is what ive learned. as soon as i try to install the drivers for my mouse all usb ports stop working and the setup never finishes. then when i press the power button and let everything shut down it just sits there shutting down til it eventually blue screens and restarts then my mouse and keyboard dont work anymore or at least for a while

TRENDING THREADS