Asus P8P67 Deluxe QCode 9A and 91

MisterTBD

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hi all,

Yesterday I flashed my BIOS from 2302 to 3602 within the bios using EZ flash utility. The flashing did not give me any errors and told me that it completed successfully. It stated that my computer would restart and apply the changes it never did. It hanged with a Q-Code of 9A (USB Initialization is started), then 91 (Driver connecting is started), then d5 (No space for legacy option rom). Each time I got a different code the VGA LED would remain red. I thought I bricked it since I flashed the bios while I was over clocked.

I then powered down everything, flicked the power supply switch to off and held the power button on the motherboard down for 5 seconds, followed by the cmos button on the back for 5 seconds. It proceeded to boot with the Q-Code 9a (hangs for a solid minute with VGA LED red), then 91 (hangs for 2 minutes with VGA LED red), and then 62, A2, and booted!

After it booted I spent countless hours searching several blogs and forums as to why it was hanging on 9A and 91. Every time I boot now it hangs on 9A and 91 so my total boot time is 3 minutes when it used to be 15 seconds.

I've tried:

Downgrading the BIOS to older revisions (back to 2302) via dos:

Smart Tech Tips: Easy Guide : How to Downgrade ASUS Bios for all UEFI Motherboards

But I would get the error code "Bios doesn't support all rom flashing functions"

I was able to use AI Suite II to downgrade myself to 3207 within Windows and then flash myself to 3509 one revision down from 3602. Still hangs on 9A and 91.
I tried taking out a stick of Ram, pressing the cmos button for 5 seconds and then booting, still hangs at 9A and 91.
Tried disconnecting all devices but video card, memory, and CPU, still hangs.
Tried disconnecting the video card, but somehow the VGA LED still remains red. Still gives a 9A and 91 code.
Tried booting with stock BIOS settings , still gave codes
Tried booting with legacy usb disabled, usb 3.0 controller disabled, legacy usb 3.0 disabled, same results.

Currently I am posting this thread on the computer that is having the issue, I have re-overclocked the machine back to what it was before the flash. It appears to maintain the settings after a reboot or shutdown. The computer is stable while in Windows, no unexpected lockups and gaming is perfectly fine. Overall the system seems to be in good health once it posts, but the 3 minute post time is bothersome. I should consider myself lucky as I did not brick the board.

i7 2600k
Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2
60GB SSD, 1 TB SATA 6gbs
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

Solution
Hi, Hard to say what went wrong. A golden rule says that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's the same for the BIOS. Updating it woud not improve performance. Only compatibility with different components.
However, the BIOS chip is on socket.
If in US, you can buy one from ASUS eStore for about 20$.
Or you can use ebay or dedicated sites.

Or, try the method described here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429
I've never used it, but it seems it does work.
Hi, Hard to say what went wrong. A golden rule says that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's the same for the BIOS. Updating it woud not improve performance. Only compatibility with different components.
However, the BIOS chip is on socket.
If in US, you can buy one from ASUS eStore for about 20$.
Or you can use ebay or dedicated sites.

Or, try the method described here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429
I've never used it, but it seems it does work.

Solution

MisterTBD

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

You are a life saver, that link you provided me worked perfectly. I flashed it back to 2302!.