MSI Lighting XE GTX580 Running at 50Mhz Core Clock!?

qlockwork

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hey guys and gals.
So I just finished building my first gaming rig a little over a week ago. Everything runs great except for my video card.

MSI Lighting Extreme Edition GTX580
On GPU-Z when I first click on the sensors tab the readings are normal.
i.e.
832Mhz Core
1050Mhz Memory
1664Mhz Shader

After a few seconds the clocks plummet and the sensors report horrific results.

50.6Mhz Core
60.7Mhz Memory
101Mhz Shader
And the red bars to the right are filled.

Did I do something wrong with the drivers?
Or perhaps I put the Card in a lesser productive Pci Express slot?
Is this Normal?
Is GPU-Z just stupid?

Help me out guys. Like I said it's my first go around with PC building so bare with me.
Thanks in advance.

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
If performance is perfect is fine, then it's GPU-Z.

A while ago thought his card was defective just because it wasnt getting a certain score on 3DMark.

So like I said, if your GPU is still running games/programs without a problem, its just some bug.

If not, please give us your specifications, the motherboard most of all.

If you gpu is not being used to run something intensive it will automaticaly clock the core down , think of it as an energy saver. Try running afterburner and something intensive to push the gpu and see if it goes up. The cpu will do that also , there is no sense to run things high when you are not really using it.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Why you copy me? I Already post one that is much shorter and same thing/meaning...

qlockwork

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hey guys thanks for the quick response.
Games do run pretty well. But I'm also running games at a low resolution untill I upgrade my monitor. Which has a max res of 1280x1024.
I usually run games at widescreen 1280x800.

For example Crysis will run at 60fps if nothing is going on. 1280x1024
But as soon as the firefights happen i drop to 35-40fps.

i7 980 3.33Ghz 6Core
Gigabyte G.1 Sniper Mobo
1000Watt Cooler Master PSU
1x MSI Lightning XE GTX 580
16G G.Skill Ram DDR3
Windows7 Prof.

GPUz will also occasionally hover the core clock around 400Mhz

I'm just concerned because I feel like a $600 piece of equipment should chew up current games and spit them out. Even at Full HD but i'm concerned it wont.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I Think your GPU is overheating? My bro's GPU(GT9800) overheated because fan not spinning and it was set to half the clock of the original one... Check your GPU temps because at 80*C for a long period of time will cause it to down clock to cool down... I Will likely recommend you to return the card because it might be a fetal error or something on it lol... Just return it and/or replace it... Tell the manufacturer that the card is running slow and not running stock clocks...

he posted only a few minutes after you, so he was probably already had the thread open before you posted and didnt see your post. not only that but he offered a much better explanation.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Open up afterburner for the cards and then open up the graphs to the right. You will see the information in real time of everything that the cards are doing.

They drop to 50 clock speed when they have nothing to process. As soon as you give them something to do they crank up.

All's well.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

He said that his GPU went to 400 Clock from 50 Clock when gaming... So im sure that's the the answer here as you haven't even read the whole thread...

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Well, when you get out of a game and to desktop, the video cards shed the load and clock down.

I do keep an overlay on my games with the CPU 1 (Top temperature) and there is no overlay yet for CPU Clock speed or other information.