New motherboard for i5 2500k Z68 or Z77?

holtii

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi All,

I need a new motherboard for my i5 2500k. I previously had been using a MSI P67 board from mid 2011 which worked great until a corrupt bios. As its now the end of 2012, P67 boards seem old and outdated, and I was wondering what board to get, Z68 or Z77? I know Z77 is 1155, but how well does sandy bridge work on it? and is it specified only for Ivy bridge, or will you just not be able to use a couple of features which I have been reading about (they dont matter to me anyway). I have been confused about the native USB 3.0, if I go with Z77 for my sandy bridge chip will I be able to use USB 3.0 because I really need it.

I will more than likely be overclocking the max out of my 2500k. Also got a budget of £100 - £150, so I could get a pretty high end board. Can anyone suggest a good OCing board? and whether to go Z68 or Z77 ?

Cheers!

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I don't see any reason why not to get a Z77 board. It's not specifically for Ivy, but easier to work with for those who have Ivy's (Z68's usually need a flash to support Ivy).

For that price range you can't go wrong. I had trouble deciding myself, but decided on the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, which is on its way.

I'd probably go for the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5, even in the roundup here Tom's loved it. The ASUS Sabertooth is also a top notch board, I personally hate that plastic sheathing. There's also the MSI MPOWER and the board I decided on above. With all these boards you'll be able to over clock as well as you want, along with each having nice MOSFET heat sinks. Each is very stable in all the reviews.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

you don't need to buy a new board third party usb chipset are not so far from the intel chipsets you will be just fine running with ur current motherboard even if u want to spend those money spend it on a cpu cooler because you szid u are overclocking or invest it in ssd or graphics card

holtii

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
when you say dont need to buy a new board, I do because I dont actually have a mobo currently xD cpu cooler is sorted got h100i on order and got decent ssd and graphics card that works perfectly fine :)

holtii

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

cheers for replying. yeh i have been looking at all 3, UD5, MPower and Sabertooth. Mainly was about questioning going with z77 or not which I am going to. I love the sabertooth looks too much and of course its reviewed excellently and like the MPower also. might come down to price in the end. the sabertooth is a little over £150 but will probably be worth it and look awesome