My computer Diagnose

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
So I have been receiving a BSOD error ntoskrnl.exe for the past month. Out of nowhere this started happening a few times a week. I could not find much info on this error so I eventually reinstalled windows.

I then started having the same issue a day later. I then get a replacement SSD drive. Reinstall windows and everything else and got my first BSOD with the same error as before.

I ran a memtest last night and got nothing but errors. Keep in mind a month ago my memory was totally fine.

I am under the belief that my memory is in fact fine and my Mobo is reporting falsely.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I get replacement memory as well? I remember readin in the manual that my Mobo cannot accept the speed of my stick but instead will read it at a slower one. Maybe this slowly degraded my setup?

Here is my build.

Specs:
i7 2600k stock speed
Corsair H60
ASUS P8P67 Pro (REV 3.0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 580
16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866
Corsair 850HX 80 Plus Silver Power Supply
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III
1TB Samsung F3 7.2k rpm
WD 500G 10k rpm
HAF 932 Advanced Case
LG Blu-ray Burner

You must get the ram issue fixed.

Get the latest release of memtest86+. Older versions did not run properly on sandy bridge cpu's.

If you get errors, try running one stick at a time to identify good and bad sticks.
Test a good stick in each slot to verify that the slots are good.

The 1866 rated speed of the ram happens when it is overclocked, and that will require higher ram voltage than 1.5v.
There should be a slower speed for the ram that will work. Use that. Sandy bridge has a great ram controller, and you are looking at only a 1-2% real app hit by running slower.

Check the asus web site for a bios update that might fix your problem.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
One of the Ripjaws is bad. So I will get that replaced. I am not sure how this happened. Do you think this could be the root of my BSOD over the past month? Could my keyboard have caused a corruption if the keyboard was shorting? Could the fact that I was running the Memory at default settings without tweaking anything have caused a problem?

My Asus Mobo does double/triple boot all the time which I do feel is a nuisance and will most likely get that RMA'd

Prior to running Memtest86+, Win 7 still showed that I had 16GB of ram (4 x 4GB). I guess there is a part of that 1 stick that has an error?

Also Asus no longer sells (3.0 Rev). So if i wanted to update BIOs i'd have to use the (3.1 Rev)

Any more insight would be appreciated.

A flaky stick of ram can cause all sorts of strange issues. It certainly is a prime suspect for your BSOD's.

I doubt that the keyboard is your issue. If anything, I might expect strange characters or missing characters to appear on your monitor.

Default ram settings is never bad.
With a 2600K you will never notice whatever speed you run the ram at.

The motherboard is trying to find a ram setting which does not give a problem. Fixing the ram will probably stop the rebooting.
Sometimes 4 sticks of ram will need a touch more voltage. If you continue to have problems, try upping it from 1.5 a notch.

Until you touch the particular spot in ram that is bad, you might not have a problem.

Do not update your bios unless it expressly fixes a problem you have.
Asus should still have bios support for 3.0. Possibly the bios for 3.1 is the same.