Sign in with
Your question

What Should I Look Out for When Buying a Used Computer?

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2011 4:45:24 PM

This guy on CR had an ad for computer complete but couple weeks later I called and he said he sold the processor. All thats missing is the processor and I still want to buy it without because it is a good deal. But how do I know every thing works because I cant boot into windows and I don't have any processors that are AM2 or AM3.

More about : buying computer

November 12, 2011 5:09:28 PM

You can't. You'll have to take him at his word. Offer to pay him half of what you all agree on for the price, and pay the balance when you get a processor and everything works like he says it does.
m
l
November 12, 2011 5:10:01 PM

You can't without a cpu.
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2011 5:43:57 PM

jitpublisher said:
You can't. You'll have to take him at his word. Offer to pay him half of what you all agree on for the price, and pay the balance when you get a processor and everything works like he says it does.

I don't think I would pay anything until I knew what worked. Perhaps use paypal as an escrow account.

Or, you could buy the cpu first, and use it to test out the pc, paying him after it worked. If it did not work, use that cpu and build one yourself.
m
l
November 12, 2011 5:55:44 PM

geofelt said:
I don't think I would pay anything until I knew what worked. Perhaps use paypal as an escrow account.

Or, you could buy the cpu first, and use it to test out the pc, paying him after it worked. If it did not work, use that cpu and build one yourself.

Well, I am thinking that since the PC is now basically a parts deal, and supposedly a very good deal on top of that, we are not talking about much money anyway. But I would be curious to know the sum of the parts and what the price asking is, to be sure I am giving sound advice.
m
l
November 12, 2011 6:09:39 PM

jitpublisher said:
Well, I am thinking that since the PC is now basically a parts deal, and supposedly a very good deal on top of that, we are not talking about much money anyway. But I would be curious to know the sum of the parts and what the price asking is, to be sure I am giving sound advice.

I think you gave him good advice. But, it all depends on how honest the seller is. Without the feedback of e-bay, who knows?
The op can check out the actual sales of the interesting parts by looking at the completed auctions on e-bay.
If the deal is good enough, he can take a chance because there is not that much money involved.

OTOH if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

m
l
November 12, 2011 11:19:50 PM

geofelt said:
if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

This, don't pay him anything before you know it all works. When people get scammed it's often in situations where they get eager and greedy cause they think they're making a good deal.
m
l
!