Would MemOK! on P8Z77 on Asus motherboard still work without CPU

pboloz

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I get a permanent red DRAM light on my mobo, even though I used certified memory modules. Could it be the CPU's fault? Would memok! still work if cpu is faulty?

No, memok will not work without a CPU installed. Check that your ram is fully seated. On those Asus boards it is very easy to not get the ram fully inserted on the non-locking side - try pushing down firmly on the non-locking side of the ram... see if that gets you anywhere

pboloz

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Asus P8Z77-M
i5 3570K
KHX2400C11D3K4/8GX - 8GB 2x4GB HyperX DDR3-2400 CL11 XMP

pboloz

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Tried it. The led does not stay on when I put memory only in banks B1,B2... but still there is no POST. Are you sure that if MemOK! is working (it flashes and restarts pc few times) after pressing the memok switch then it means that the CPU if fine? I am thinking of returning the mobo, but scare to think it may be a faulty cpu :-S

pboloz

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

About 3 pins were slighly bent. But how could this happen? It is not the first rig I have put together. I know how to insert a cpu into a socket. These seem to be really "bent prone" as I was reading other post and people had similar problems with 1155 and 2011 sockets. Had anyone tried to return such mobo back to the seller? Any luck, will they refund or replace?

chugot9218

Honorable
They are pretty picky about bent pins, it is too hard to prove who caused the damage. In my future builds, I intend to take a watermark/timestamped video that I can keep as evidence that I have not caused any damage (or if I did that it was indeed my own fault hah) while I am unpacking. It cannot hurt to try and RMA it, but as I said, they are pretty finicky about bent pins.

pboloz

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Gave up trying to straighten the pins. Mobo sent back (RMA)... waiting for what they say. Got new mobo. CPU works fine even though according to what some ppl post CPU will be fried without a heatsink. I tested my setup (CPU+mobo+memory) without a heatsink for 1min and all is well... chickens ;-)
Thanks for all helpful clues.