Sign in with
Your question

Need your advise on buying CPU and mobo

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2012 2:04:42 PM

Hello everyone !

need your help with CPU and motherboard.

1 - Namely, I'm going to switch from my core2duo to either i3 or i5 processor. The thing is I'm not a heavy gamer (although I play games) and was wondering do I actually need to get i5, Isn't i3 enough i know it's cheaper and I don't necessary want to spend a lot of money.

2 - The other thing is motherboard, I understand I need to get discrete graphics, am I right ?? I want intel's chipset, P67 but somone told me that Z68 is better. Is it really that much better ??

3 - Also do I need to get a more powerfull PSU ? Currently I have 400W.

That's be great if you could help me here.

More about : advise buying cpu mobo

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2012 2:09:33 PM

how about AMD APU?
February 12, 2012 2:48:53 PM

Get and i3 2100, Perfectly capable for what you want. Then get a Z68 mobo
Related resources
February 12, 2012 2:53:55 PM

What games do you intend to play? Big difference between WoW and Crysis.

If you get a graphics card you will probably want a bigger power supply.

Intel has the Intel HD2000/3000 onboard graphics and you can see which CPUs have which here http://www.silentpcreview.com/intel-sandybridge1

This link shows you the difference between the H67, P67, and Z68.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2011/06/09/h67-p67-and...

I run SWTOR and WoW on full blast using Z68, a 2500k, and no video card. If I were playing more intense video games, I wouldn't care so much about onboard graphics and would have just bought a P67 with a video card. Most of the good vid cards require a 550W power supply or higher.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2012 3:42:25 PM

1. More cheaper option is pentium g850 (sandy bridge cpu), it is like i3 and belongs to same family as of i3 i.e, sandy bridge.

2. If you are not willing to
overclock cpu
use ssd as smart response
use more than 16gb of ram
setup a raid array of multiple hdd
then cheap h61 is better choice

3. Need your psu's current rating at 12v rails, to give any suggestion?

Also how much is your budget.
February 12, 2012 3:58:31 PM

catatafish said:
What games do you intend to play? Big difference between WoW and Crysis.

If you get a graphics card you will probably want a bigger power supply.
Well the thing is I want to play Crisis and maybe GTA 4 but not necessarily games that were created "yesterday". As for graphics card, currently I've got ASUS EN9500GT/DI/1GD2/V2/A link i think it should work for now, what do you think ?

I'd like get the newer card a bit later. As for integrated graphics card I was always told that it is a crap and that if you indetend to play some game or do some photoshop stuff you better get discrete. Thus I'd probably stick to P67 as it seems equally powerful and it will have discrete graphics card.

I don't really know why ther are so many mobos with integrated graphics card nowadays.

As for CPU I'd probably have to stick with i5 2500k and as for the brand of my future mobo it will be mpst probably Intel as they are most stable (Gigabyte get hot, Asus are also faulty) )and I don't know anything about OC so...
!