Asrock z77 extreme4 supported by only 2 screws

raresb

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Just made my first build. All went well or so it seems. Been gamin with it for about 3 days now. When it was built only 2 screws managed to fit in my haf 922. The other standoffs are a few mm off. Should I leave it with only 2 or try and force in the remaining screws. Thanks a ton

Solution

Yes, that is normal. The metal tabs on the i/o panel are sort of springy to keep good contact. The i/o ports should go into the holes and mostly through.
Sounds like you have it now.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
no need to force the remaining screws.
ensure the off centered standoffs do not short any mobo component
when you want to add components to mobo, take it out and place it on the static free bag it comes in and then do it as two standoffs may not be able to take a lot of pressure.
if you have aftermarket cooling, make sure its weight is not causing your mobo to bend

n1tr0

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Something's not installed correctly if you can only get two of the standoffs to line up. Check for interference where your connectors pass through the back-panel or maybe the brace for your cooler. The ATX form factor is ancient and a board that's got holes a few mm out of place wouldn't have made it through the pick'n'place during assembly.

raresb

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks for the responses, i dont really see anything blocking the mobo. Would it be that bad if i left it as is, i mean the 212 is supported by a backplate and the graphics card has an extra 2 screws connecting it to the case in addition to the 2 connecting the motherboard to the case.

I would not continue to run with only two supporting screws. You can easily get a short and damage everything.

There is a ATX standard that defines the dimensions and spacing of the case and motherboard.
Either your case is defective or your motherboard is defective, or you have installed the motherboard poorly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Measure carefully to see which is wrong.
But I doubt you have either of these defective.

One common problem is not pushing the back I/O panel properly into the slot in the case. Then you will have a problem getting the holes lined up.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

^+1

Definitely check the back panel. Sure things may be running fine now but move the case just enough to jar something and you could short out the entire system with those stand-offs that are not aligned correctly.

raresb

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

What exactly is the back panel, if it's the io panel should I just keep on hitting it to try and push it in to place

Yes, I am talking about the i/o panel. It is a press fit into the case, and is often difficult to get in completely. You need to push hard, and work your way all around the edges so that it sits fully in.

Then, when you install the motherboard, you need to push the back panel of the motherboard into the panel, sometimes very firmly so that the motherboard screws can go in. Be careful that the grounding tabs on the panel are not interfering with the motherboard. I try to locate the first screws in the holes nearest to the back panel first.
If you have an extra hand, it helps; one to push and hold the motherboard in place, and another to put the screws in the holes. I find a #2 magnetic tip phillips screwdriver to be very useful for this.
Once you get two screws in, the others should fit. Do not tighten up the screws until you get them all in place.

raresb

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

So now I have to unscrew the mobo and try to refit the back panel. Do I need to remove the components and wires or can I just move the mobo over. Is this what I need to do.

If all the standoffs are in place, you could try to move the motherboard over to give you room to get the i/o panel in properly. And.. be thankful that the standoffs did not short anything. But, be careful that the standoffs do not damage anything on the underside of the motherboard.

If you installed without some of the posts screwed into the case, then you will need to remove the motherboard to do that job.

I might move the motherboard out of the way by lifting it up, assuming that your connections will give you the room.
Otherwise, to be safe, remove the motherboard. You can leave the ram, cpu and cooler installed.

raresb

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I can't seem to lift the motherboard would there be anything elseholdo g it down other than the two screws or the gou screws.

Without a pic, I can't tell.
What screws are you talking about? I know the two motherboard standoff screws, but what are the "gou" screws?

Yes, that is normal. The metal tabs on the i/o panel are sort of springy to keep good contact. The i/o ports should go into the holes and mostly through.
Sounds like you have it now.

Solution

raresb

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Ok thanks turned it on and it worked, I managed to get 6 of the 7 screws but the centre two aren't really very stable couldn't screw them in that well. Hope that's ok, thanks to you all.