Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Build a PC around $800

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 12, 2011 5:48:59 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking for help to find parts to build a PC around ~$800, give or take.
This will hopefully be purchased as soon as possible.

The price is tentative, and so I can probably do more or less than that.
Rebates are a bonus, so the price is before rebates.

The PC will be used to run programs such as:
--Adobe Photoshop
--Adobe Flash Professional
--Open Canvas... etc.
And maybe even moderate gaming, but nothing too crazy. (Games like Spiral Knights or Dragon Saga, but I play at the lowest settings always)

I do still need things like a keyboard, (I have a mouse), and a monitor, but these don't need to be included as part of the budget.
For the monitor, I don't need a gigantic one, just a comfortably sized one.

I don't really care for sound, so speakers and all that are unnecessary.
I also don't care about the aesthetics of the case or anything like that, but something that doesn't sound like a motor or a hairdryer would be a bonus.

I'm okay with buying from any website, but I like buying new parts and not used parts. Other then that, I have no preference when it comes to brands.

I have never overclocked before, and so chances are, I won't be trying it anytime soon.

Also, I don't need an OS included in the pricing because I can get these free from school (some kind of deal they have), but I will most likely be running Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit), unless there is an alternative recommendation.

Lastly, my country is Canada. (Alberta to be more specific)

Any help is appreciated, and I am aware of the flooding, and thus the pricing.

More about : build 800

November 12, 2011 7:41:44 PM

I wouldnt suggest getting people to tell you what parts to get. Only you know what you really want/need and exactly what you're going to use it for.

If youre really only looking to do some editing and older games with no regard for graphics or sound you could get a perfect PC for less than $800 even including a monitor and mouse.

What computer are you using right now? what do you want to change about it/upgrade? Thats really where you should start.
m
0
l
November 12, 2011 9:55:50 PM

maxwelbr said:
I wouldnt suggest getting people to tell you what parts to get. Only you know what you really want/need and exactly what you're going to use it for.

If youre really only looking to do some editing and older games with no regard for graphics or sound you could get a perfect PC for less than $800 even including a monitor and mouse.

What computer are you using right now? what do you want to change about it/upgrade? Thats really where you should start.


Thank you for the reply :D 

And currently I'm a student so I'm using a Mac Laptop. The only problem with it is that I lose some compatibility with programs I want to use, even when using wine. I don't want to run parallels either.

But I see, thank you.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 12, 2011 11:09:32 PM

aznshinobi said:
Although info provided is solid can you fill this out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...



Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next couple of weeks

Budget Range: ~$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Making high resolution illustrations, to simple gaming. Sound is not important.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, OS, Mouse, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: As long as it ships to Canada

Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Depends on the monitor

Additional Comments: Aesthetics for the box is not of concern, and I have a USB wireless adapter
m
0
l
November 12, 2011 11:12:22 PM

As mentioned before, Your really the person who has to choose the parts, BUT I am currently looking for a build for $800 for my brother, so this picture of a summary of parts may be useful to you.



Spoiler



That build should run most the stuff you throw at it. The only thing thats wrong with it possibly could be the proccessor, and if so I'd suggest upgrading the one in the picture for a X6 Phenom or such.


EDIT:

Just noticed the photo's Blurry so I'll type up the parts...

- AMD Phenom II X4 840 (I suggest upgrading that to a X6 though)
- ASUS GeForce 550 Ti
- Sharkoon T5 Value Case
- Corsair 4GB (Dual Channel 2x2GB)
- Antec EarthWatts 650W Green
- Seagate Barracude 1TB
- ASRock 880 GMH AM3 Motherboard
- And some cheap Optical Drive.


As I said this built is really on a budget, aswell as that I do suggest you thoroughly research these parts, I put this list together in about 10 minutes so I haven't actually checked to make sure the parts fit 100%.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2011 11:25:17 PM

You could do better.
i5 2400 $190
http://directcanada.com/products/?sku=12200BD5176&vpn=B...
Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 $122
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD4863&v...
Corsair CX500 V2 $50
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC3744&v...
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 $45
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12410BD7015&v...
Asus DirectCu II GTX 560 $182
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD6623&v...
Hitachi 500GB $92
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12040DR9451&v...
LG DVD Drive $19
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12600DR0411&v...
Cooler Master HAF 912 $55
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0700&v...
Total: $755 Before rebates.

You'll get much more performance from the CPU as well as more ram and a better GPU also you have a motherboard offering SATA 3 and USB 3 as well as SLI capable.
Share
November 12, 2011 11:44:27 PM

Zigiy said:
As mentioned before, Your really the person who has to choose the parts, BUT I am currently looking for a build for $800 for my brother, so this picture of a summary of parts may be useful to you.






That build should run most the stuff you throw at it. The only thing thats wrong with it possibly could be the proccessor, and if so I'd suggest upgrading the one in the picture for a X6 Phenom or such.


EDIT:

Just noticed the photo's Blurry so I'll type up the parts...

- AMD Phenom II X4 840 (I suggest upgrading that to a X6 though)
- ASUS GeForce 550 Ti
- Sharkoon T5 Value Case
- Corsair 4GB (Dual Channel 2x2GB)
- Antec EarthWatts 650W Green
- Seagate Barracude 1TB
- ASRock 880 GMH AM3 Motherboard
- And some cheap Optical Drive.


As I said this built is really on a budget, aswell as that I do suggest you thoroughly research these parts, I put this list together in about 10 minutes so I haven't actually checked to make sure the parts fit 100%.


I'm just looking for some ideas ^^ I will definitely do my part and research through all of this, but thank you for the replies
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2011 11:53:33 PM

The build that I suggested would give you much more performance for the CPU end, you get the Memory to render, the GPU will be much better than a 550 Ti. Specially since the 560 is about 2 tiers up from the 550 Ti, and the MB gives you room for SATA 3 and USB 3 plus you get more PCI space if you plan to SLI.

i5 2400 vs Phenom 955
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=363
GTX 560 review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp...
Clearly the 560 beats out the 6790, the 6790 is even better than the 550 Ti. So you can see how far down on the tiers the 550 Ti is.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6790-bart...
m
0
l
November 13, 2011 12:18:43 AM

Best answer selected by rainy areost.
m
0
l
November 13, 2011 12:19:40 AM

aznshinobi said:
The build that I suggested would give you much more performance for the CPU end, you get the Memory to render, the GPU will be much better than a 550 Ti. Specially since the 560 is about 2 tiers up from the 550 Ti, and the MB gives you room for SATA 3 and USB 3 plus you get more PCI space if you plan to SLI.

i5 2400 vs Phenom 955
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=363
GTX 560 review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp...
Clearly the 560 beats out the 6790, the 6790 is even better than the 550 Ti. So you can see how far down on the tiers the 550 Ti is.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6790-bart...


Thank you for your replies :)  I will still have to look through everything, but you gave me what I wanted to see.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2011 12:24:52 AM

No Problem! Good luck!
m
0
l
!