Bridge internet in a college campus

blitzburgh39

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I attend a college where gaming is blocked and the internet is SOOO slow in the dorms. But when you go to the library, the wireless has a 25ms ping and is fast and is also unblocked. Is there a way to bridge the wireless from the one side of campus to my dorm? I know it is possible. But what would I possibly need? Obviously this is near impossible, but I am still interested on how to do it.

I am a Computer Science major so I know a decent bit.

Thanks

What you are asking might be found to be a violation of the Terms of Service and/or Rules of Conduct here.

I can't find any specific rule against what you are asking for help with, but the nature of the question is based on illegal use, if your college forbids tapping a network resource for the purpose of installing a
wireless access point with it's own encryption to keep anybody else from discovering the true source of the internet signal present for the purpose of getting a different access level on that network over to your living area. It's not anyone's place here to determine the policy of your school network, nor do we know what school you are attending, so your own good sense must prevail.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I guarantee you that the university runs network audits to detect illegal (from a network standpoint) wireless networks. Even if you hide the SSID it can be tracked. You can be punished by judicial services or even expelled depending on the severity of the offense. I wouldn't try it.

BTW - I used to work in University IT