NAV Disabled

I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled. I
went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will not
open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?
8 answers Last reply
More about disabled

    "Atif Rahman" <atifr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled. I
    went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will not
    open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?

    Atif--

    Here's the bottom line up front:
    Do you mean Norton updated with patches for XP SP2 and now it's broken?

    Are you getting a Norton error? What do you mean that NAV won't work?
    When you open NAV and the yellow and white box comes up with different
    program functions like scan can you click on that and make it work or is it
    refractory? Are you getting a message that says "You're not the Norton
    supervisor and you can't access NAV?" What precisely got updated? Norton
    with their patch for SP2?

    *What exactly is it telling you?* Tell me that and I can probably tell you
    how to fix it and link you to steps. Sometimes uninstalling from Add/Remove
    if you can will fix it but often you have to uninstall it manually to fix it
    and now we have to make sure you get Norton's SP2 patches.

    Read on please.

    What updated? Please what does that mean? Because anyone who had Norton
    home or small business apps got a patch or patches via Norton Live Update
    yesterday early in the AM automatically that should take care of SP2
    problems--i.e. "should."

    "The SP2 product update for English versions of Norton products will be
    available beginning August 10, 2004. At that time, Symantec will provide
    detailed information about SP2 and compatibility with Norton products,
    including frequently asked questions (FAQs) and support documentation.
    Please check back to http://service.symantec.com/xpinfo on August 10, 2004."

    "my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled"
    How? Usually you get an error that links to a Norton KB for example "You're
    not the Norton supervisor" and you can't use Norton anymore. I've seen this
    several times on XP SP2 boxes with Norton Internet Security without the
    recent patch. Or when Live Update won't work you often get an 1806 error
    and after Symantec plays the game of letting you click icons you get to read
    a couple more KBs and ultimately you have an 1812 error KB.

    So what is the Norton error saying? This isn't trivial. It can lead to a
    KB with steps to fix.

    If you're going to the Symantec website and the page cannot be displayed,
    either that's temporary or an IE problem. This site should give you a
    Norton FAQ on SP2:

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

    Norton FAQ on XP SP2
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

    Norton's Announcement of Patch for XP SP2 delivered on Wednesday August 11,
    2004 via Live Update and only via Live Update (in other words they aren't
    making the patch available on the site--why is a *darn good question*
    (extreme unfamiliar euphamism) because some people can't make LU work even
    using Norton KB 1812--and those can't get the patch):

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004080212383739?Open&src=ivr_na_con

    "Symantec will release a product update to provide native support for the
    Windows Security Center status utility found in SP2. This update will be
    available worldwide over the coming weeks and will enable Symantec products
    to communicate their status to the Windows Security Center utility."

    If you can tell me what error you're getting, if you can do anything to NAV
    when it comes up, and what exactly you installed---XP SP2? the Norton patch
    for SP2 via Live Update? I'd be glad to help. But right now it's not
    clear.

    Best,

    Chad Harris

    "Atif Rahman" <atifr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled. I
    went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will not
    open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?

    Atif--

    Without clarification as to what you're seeing right now the possibilities
    always have to consider a virus or Trojan can "disable" Norton sure, but
    the info you're alluding to with SP2 brings up the possibility that you may
    have an incompatibility with SP2 seen before Norton's patch to update is
    added and not necessarily a "pick up of something nasty." If you can *please
    be clear about exactly "what your Ativirus programme" is indicating*--any
    Norton errors and what you mean that "the site will not open" because any of
    Symantecs hundreds of webpages should work, then we can be more helpful, and
    I'd be glad to try.

    Chad Harris

    "Atif Rahman" <atifr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled. I
    went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will not
    open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?

    The auto update of SP2 is not due until
    August 16 Release to Automatic Updates.

    I think you've picked up something nasty, have a look at this site and scroll
    past the ads
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Q_20951278.html

    "Atif Rahman" <atifr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    > automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled. I
    > went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will not
    > open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?

    Chris,
    I appreciate your help. I hope I can explain it properly.
    I have XP Pro. Also I hadNAV updated.
    I have SP2 hotfixes installed Q322011, Q327979, Q814995, Q819696 all
    prefixed with
    My IE version says 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633.
    I try to update the virus def. but an error comes up :"could not retreive
    virus definitions". I try o go to the NV main page (IE) an error comes up:
    "the page cannot be displayed". In NS an error comes up "The connection was
    refused when attempting to ontact www.symantec.com".
    I hope this explains it. Further expanation can be given if req. Once
    again thx.....for the help.

    http://www.uant.net/antivirus/stingerguide.html

    Atif--

    Is NAV actually disabled or is it just that you couldn't get a web page to
    update?

    *Can you get your updates from the first link on this page? Use the very
    first link on the page.* This is the best way to do it on a home or small
    business machine so that you get an update 7 days a week.

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

    Now I see you have Windows XP Pro SP1--remember the hotfixes often get the
    service pack number of the hotfix coming next if it does.

    I'm not sure what you mean about having updated Norton--that is how you have
    updated it but I think you're getting at the fact that you try to keep your
    definitions current and in the past you have and now you're having trouble
    reaching the page.

    Maybe I mistook that you were saying you had an issue with SP2 when that's
    not it at all. You want to update your viral definitions.

    This is the way I update definitions. I get them from Intelligent Updater.
    Actually Norton has a couple links for that, but you can use the first link
    on this page. The second link I'm giving you tells why I don't rely on Live
    Update to update my definitions. Live Update doesn't get them every day,
    and it used to get them on Wednesday PM Pacific Time--once a week. The
    reasoning there was that if there was a serious viral or blended threat
    loose, Norton/Symantec would issue them more often via Live Update.
    Intelligent Updater allows you to get definitions every day in the PM toward
    late after noon or early evening daily. If you can reach the first link,
    then this is a good place to get your definitions--drag it somewhere
    convenient--quick start or folder.

    Get definitions daily here by date:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

    Differences Between Intelligent Updater and Live Update:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2002021908382713?OpenDocument&src=sec_web_nam

    You originally wrote:

    "I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been disabled. I
    went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will not
    open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?"

    As Kaylene aka Taurian wrote you could not have *autoupdated* a legitimate
    Microsoft SP2 build yet. Kaylene gave a date in the future of the 16th and
    while I have seen different dates, right now I can't see anywhere on MSFT's
    site that says they have offered AU to the public--Kaylene must be on the
    money. There is the network download that has been around since August 10.

    Microsoft says Autoupdate will offer SP2

    Network download around available now but not an Autoupdate
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Closest I can come to what Taurian is
    http://www.santharia.com/bestiary/taurian.htm

    You gave us a version of IE. That version is not a version of IE that comes
    with Windows XP SP2 RTM. That's a version of IE that comes with Windows XP
    SP1. How do I know? A lot of ways but a couple are that I lived with XP
    and XP SP1 when it was released and thats close to a version I saw, and
    another is that this KB tells me it's an XP SP1 version. You can also
    verify this in the registry--I have threads somewhere because this version
    comes up all the time. Someone did a nice piece of work I can find for you
    in a group that shows Help/About is not always accurate, but it is most of
    the time. You don't have XP SP2 the OS. You don't have it's browser
    either. See:

    How to Determine Which Version of Internet Explorer Is Installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164539&Product=ie600

    "6.00.2800.1106 Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows XP SP1)"
    The About Internet Explorer dialog box displays only one zero for the
    minor version number if the minor version number is 00 (for example:
    6.00.2800.1106 is displayed as 6.0.2800.1106).

    6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633 reflects that you have an SP1 IE and
    translates that it was signed off on 03=2003, 04=April. 22=the 22nd day,
    1633=4:33PM. So your build of IE was made on April 22, 2003 at 4:33PM.

    Please let us know if your issue was that you wanted to get to a page to
    update your definitions and it simply would not load. Let me know if you
    can get your definitions OK--and if there are any other issues that aren't
    being helped.

    Thanks,

    Chad Harris

    Chris,
    I appreciate your help. I hope I can explain it properly.
    I have XP Pro. Also I hadNAV updated.
    I have SP2 hotfixes installed Q322011, Q327979, Q814995, Q819696 all
    prefixed with
    My IE version says 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633.
    I try to update the virus def. but an error comes up :"could not retreive
    virus definitions". I try o go to the NV main page (IE) an error comes up:
    "the page cannot be displayed". In NS an error comes up "The connection was
    refused when attempting to ontact www.symantec.com".
    I hope this explains it. Further expanation can be given if req. Once
    again thx.....for the help.

    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Atif--
    >
    > Without clarification as to what you're seeing right now the
    possibilities
    > always have to consider a virus or Trojan can "disable" Norton sure,
    but
    > the info you're alluding to with SP2 brings up the possibility that you
    may
    > have an incompatibility with SP2 seen before Norton's patch to update is
    > added and not necessarily a "pick up of something nasty." If you can
    *please
    > be clear about exactly "what your Ativirus programme" is
    indicating*--any
    > Norton errors and what you mean that "the site will not open" because
    any of
    > Symantecs hundreds of webpages should work, then we can be more helpful,
    and
    > I'd be glad to try.
    >
    > Chad Harris
    >

    > "Atif Rahman" <atifr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    > automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been
    disabled. I
    > went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site will
    not
    > open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?

    Hi Chad,

    I was away on vacation. As I have come back, I found out that there is a
    virus that prevents Norton form Updating and even from accessing the
    Website. I think you may already be aware of iot, its the W32.Mydoom.Q@mm
    virus. Anyways, after following the instructions, i am able to update my
    virus definitions. Once again, thanks for all the support.

    Atif

> [...]
    > > be clear about exactly "what your Ativirus programme" is
    > indicating*--any
    > > Norton errors and what you mean that "the site will not open"
    because
    > any of
    > > Symantecs hundreds of webpages should work, then we can be more
    helpful,
    > and
    > > I'd be glad to try.
    > >
    > > Chad Harris
    > >

    > > "Atif Rahman" <atifr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I was unaware about the SP2 update but as soon as it had updated
    > > automatically, my Antivirus programme indicated that it has been
    > disabled. I
    > > went to the Symentec website just to find out that that the site
    will
    > not
    > > open (Page cannot be displayed). Is there a way out?

Configuration Customization Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP