need recomendation for backup software

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 21, 2005 10:17:45 PM

i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked into
using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
backup.

what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
i am using windows

thanks
April 22, 2005 12:31:55 AM

I have Archive Creator, which is extremely good and not very expensive,
DonB
steven-c wrote:
> i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked
into
> using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
> over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
> backup.
>
> what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
> i am using windows
>
> thanks
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:05:46 AM

steven-c wrote:
> i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked into
> using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
> over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
> backup.
>
> what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
> i am using windows
>
> thanks

I would just write them to disk using Windows Explorer. Most backup
methods are subject to losing data if anything becomes corrupt. If
something bad happens to disk 1 of a 7 disk backup, you might lose
everything. It will take longer, and more attention, to do it with
Windows Explorer, but I think it is worth the extra trouble. The same
goes for trying to compress the data first. Unless the pictures are
quite large, you can probably get all of them on one DVD.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 22, 2005 10:45:36 AM

steven-c wrote:
> i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked into
> using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
> over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
> backup.
>
> what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
> i am using windows
>
> thanks

Steven,
I've used SyncBackSE for a couple years now, and it works great.
Plus it's freeware!
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html
Good luck,
Harmless
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:52:01 AM

22/04/2005 02:17:45

steven-c <stevenjcampbell@gmail.com> wrote in message

<1114132665.164697.45510@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>

> i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked
into

> using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned

> over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the

> backup.

> what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.

> i am using windows

> thanks

I would highly recommend 'Photo Backup' - http://www.onthegosoft.
com/photo_backup.htm It allows spanning of multiple CD's/DVD's and
will write an index page to each disk if required. I backed up
roughly the same amount only the other day and it worked great -
quite cheap too.

HTH

Ted
--
Composed with Newz Crawler 1.7 http://www.newzcrawler.com/
Anonymous

one dvd? no, they are much larger than that. i think it clocks in at
around 12 gigs which is about three 4.5 gig dvd's
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:35:23 AM

Hi Steven,
Kind of a late answer but you might try Backup4all -
http://www.backup4all.com
It has a mirror backup feature that allows you to store your images on
the dvd in their original format. Plus, if you need to span those over
multiple dvds it will not "split" the last image, meaning all your
images will be intact on the dvds. You can check it out to see if it's
good.

Softland
http://www.backup4all.com//
steven-c wrote:
> i have about 25,000 photos which i would like to back up. i looked
into
> using picassa 2 but it seems to store the files if they are spanned
> over discs in a way that requires picassa 2 in order to restore the
> backup.
>
> what is another good alternative. i plan on putting them on dvd's.
> i am using windows
>
> thanks
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:54:41 AM

I will add a vote for Archive Creator, in the last couple of days I
just backed up my collection of 55,000 some photos. It makes a nice
html index, which is nice if you like you archives to be platform
independent. I was also rather amazed that it handled my raw files so
well, including from my Sony F828, which not many people support.

I tent to do incermental Archive over the year and then a full new set
once a year, it is a good thing DVDs have gotten so cheap.

Scott
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:22:55 PM

Dantz Retrospect is without a doubt the best backup software available.
It does need some studying to master much of it but you can do much with
little understanding.

!