vargas64

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Building my 2nd PC to replace my 1st dual core, 775 build that I did over 6 years ago. The MB crapped out on me and I figured it was time to update. This will be a semi-budget gaming, vid encoding, family PC.

I have purchased some of the components already. Guess I'll list out my system and what I've bought already first and what I need left to buy second. I will be reusing my monitor till I upgrade GPU..

Already bought..

CASE - CM 690 Bought it awhile back

PSU - Corsair HX620 being an older PSU, concerned with compatibility with newer components. Thoughts?

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Got a killer Shell Shocker + 10% off deal on these, so I grabbed them.

HDD - Barracuda® 3.5 SATA 1-TB Hard Drive I know,, SATA 2, but with post-flood prices and finding this a local best buy for $70...ehh will get replaces when prices return to normal.

GPU - MSI HD 6570 1GB 128-bit Hold over card, till new HD 7xxx cards come out in the spring.

Need to Buy..

CPU - i5-2500k Pretty much set here. I will overclock but not much beyond auto settings.

MB - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 I like proven boards and ASUS seems to be it with the Z68's Like to have PCIe 3.0 available as I will be upgrading my GPU next year. Thoughts?

SSD - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD Reviews are crazy good. No SandForce here.. Will house OS and games like SWToR.

CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Read good reviews for the 212+ and figured I'dd splurge on the newest revision. Totally open here but I'd like to stay as close to $30 as possible..

OS - Windows 7 64-bit oem 64-bit ehh

Looks like you have it all planned out and ready to go , except for the psu , a lot of people are going to say it is good enough and you don't really need more but not me. If that is an older psu from your previous build then it's time for a new one , I don't know if crossfire is in your plans and maybe you don't know either so I would go with this just to be safe;

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$139.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050

It's not overly expensive and it will provide enough power for whatever you decide.

vargas64

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Thanks for the reply! The PSU has never been used. I bought it for a build I was going to do when I bought the case way back. Well, life got in the way ( new baby, new house) so that got put on hold. So, it's been sitting in the closet since new. With the cpu and MB, I'm getting tight with my budget. I will definitely be looking for a replacement when I upgrade my card next year.