Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wipe hard drive before installing new motherboard/cpu/ram?

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2011 8:33:37 PM

Hi All

I have a HDD with windows vista on it and a few drivers and some applications, nothing major only 40gigs worth probably. I'm about to embark on my upgrade, swapping in a new mobo (ASUS p8Z68), with CPU and RAM to go with it.

Can i Just keep my HDD the way it is and boot up, or do you reccomend that once I have my hardware set up I format my HDD and start with a fresh windows install?
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2011 8:59:58 PM

Hello maxwelbr;

You could just format the HDD as part of the fresh install. Probably the best, easiest option.

A bit more advanced is that you can create a new partition and install Windows(7?) into the new partition. You'd need to a 'repair install' on the Vista partition to update the drivers for the new hardware. But you'd end up with a dual boot Vista/Win7 system.
Related resources
November 12, 2011 9:10:12 PM

WR2 said:
Hello maxwelbr;

You could just format the HDD as part of the fresh install. Probably the best, easiest option.

A bit more advanced is that you can create a new partition and install Windows(7?) into the new partition. You'd need to a 'repair install' on the Vista partition to update the drivers for the new hardware. But you'd end up with a dual boot Vista/Win7 system.

hey thanks for the unput

no windows 7 here, gonna stick with vista. Im upgrading from a Striker II mobo to the new p8z68 and have heard of people trying to boot with their old HDD's that contain drivers for other motherboards, audo drivers/video drivers etc that causes some big problems and this is what Im worried about.
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2011 9:13:15 PM

Correct....it can be a hassle.

You have a Vista install DVD? what service pack?
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2011 9:16:22 PM

Or did you plan to use the hidden recovery partition that comes on some OEM systems?
November 12, 2011 9:51:37 PM

WR2 said:
Correct....it can be a hassle.

You have a Vista install DVD? what service pack?

I have my Vista x64 install CD, SP1.

What i was thinking was instead of wiping my drive using my old hardware, I would keep all the data on the drive but not actually hook the drive up while setting up my new hardware.

Then I go into BIOS, once all hardware is set up and confirmed working okay, and change to CD/DVD as 1st boot priority. Shut down, install HDD, boot up with VISTA DVD in the drive and wipe the drive/format and reinstall vista?

Seems like a safer road?>

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2011 9:54:36 PM

That's not required. Just install your old hard drive and then during first boot in the new build use the F12 key to get the Advanced Boot Menu and chose the CD/DVD.

You might want to slipstream SP3 SP2 into the installation CD now, before you do the clean install.
November 13, 2011 5:18:24 AM

Best answer selected by maxwelbr.
!