Sign in with
Your question

My screen is black after installing a theme.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2011 3:29:33 AM

Hello,
I messed up my computer really badly.
I used a theme installer (from the 'Windows Club' website) to install the glass onion theme for windows 7.
After I restarted my computer and logged in. my desktop is Black (nothing is on the screen). I have tried everything to fix this:
  • I have tried sfc /scannow....but I get this error: "sfc scannow windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"
  • I checked my disk for errors
    I don't know what to do now, because I did not create a restore point (because I didn't know how to do it...I do now)

Please Help or ask for more info.! :( 
    December 27, 2011 3:35:03 AM

Start in safe mode?
    m
    l
    December 27, 2011 4:38:56 AM

tried that already :( 
    m
    l
    Related resources
    December 27, 2011 5:07:11 AM

do you get the task bar, or is everything black? since you were able to run sfc/scannow, i'm assuming you get access to command prompt. try running attrib -h /s /d and see if your desktop icons come back. If they do, they are being hidden by a virus and will disappear shortly again.
    m
    l
    December 27, 2011 1:20:47 PM

OP was that logging in triggers the black screen, which really points at the theme.
    m
    l
    December 27, 2011 1:44:54 PM

Maybe try logging in with safe mode in safe graphics mode (I cant remember the exact option name), then delete said theme.
    m
    l
    December 27, 2011 5:43:43 PM

ebola28 said:
    do you get the task bar, or is everything black? since you were able to run sfc/scannow, i'm assuming you get access to command prompt. try running attrib -h /s /d and see if your desktop icons come back. If they do, they are being hidden by a virus and will disappear shortly again.

Nope! No Task Bar.
    m
    l
    !