Sign in with
Your question

Budget Replacement PSU Advice Needed

Last response: in Components
February 12, 2012 6:14:24 PM

Hello all

I'm not having a lot of luck with my 'puters at the moment. On Friday night my desktop made a "pffft" noise, lost all power and despite changing fuses, kettle leads and doing a "lamp test" on the power supply outlet, it won't power up again at all. No lights, no whirring, no anything.

So I believe I need a new PSU. As the desktop is only a stop gap until April or May when I plan a new buy, I don't want to spend more than £40. I'm based in the UK and would prefer to buy from Overclockers, Aria, Amazon.co.uk, ebuyer.com, etc - somewhere based in Britain.

The system is a hash of an Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 3Gb RAM and the motherboard is an ASRock 939N68PV-GLAN circa 2008. These components are in a full sized tower case. Although I'm using the on-board gpu currently but might be putting in an old nVidia 6800GT card to help with framerates in EQ2.

Please could someone suggest a budget replacement to power this system.

Many thanks in advance.

Jules
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 13, 2012 1:01:33 AM

abekl said:
Much better than the cooler Master:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

That particular unit is a good unit but it's not better then the GX450W price and performance wise.
VP450 - 2yr warranty and it's not 80+ certified.
GX450 - 5yr warranty and 80+ Bronze and it's cheaper.
The GX450 is made by Enhance and internally different to the other GX(Seventeam) models.(which are poor units)
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2012 1:05:42 AM

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 13, 2012 1:13:10 AM

abekl said:
Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

Don't hesistate to recommend the VP450 in certain circumstances it is a good basic unit.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe...
I recommended it a couple of times last week when posters where looking to replace oem units in pre-builts or low power builds.
It was on for $30 at a Canadian retailer = terrific value!
And you're correct it is much better then the majority of CM's low end offerings with fake labels.
Just not in this particular case.
February 13, 2012 6:13:46 AM

Many thanks Davcon - I've just ordered the Coolermaster PSU from Overclockers. Very good value from Overclockers too - the same PSU is £47.72 exc VAT from eBuyer. Thank you so much for your help and fingers crossed that fitting it tomorrow is an easy process.

Jules
!