Core 2 Duo or Quad?

I want to know what Intel Core 2 Quad would be better than the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 for gaming. I cant afford the q9650 so that's out of the question. I just want to know do the Core 2 Quads really make a difference for the price?
20 answers Last reply
More about core quad
  1. Probably not worth it. Most games still only use 2 cores effectively. your best bet is to OC your E8600 if you can.
  2. +1 esrever
  3. If you have the core 2 duo, then keep it. Like esrever said, games are just now starting to use more than 2 threads. If you can OC, that is the way to go. If you are playing games like BF3, Mafia 2, Crysis 2, or the other few that use 4 threads, go ahead and get a Q6600 and OC the heck out of it, but I wouldn't really suggest upgrading the LGA775 platform, as it is pretty old.

If you can, OC your duo and save for a IB or SB platform.
  4. Would it be better to get the X6800 or E8600. My specs:

450 watt power supply
    Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 Graphics card
    1 250gb Western Digital HDD
    1 500gb Green WD HDD (power saver)
    1 300gb WD HDD
    1 IDE DVD/RW drive
    1 IDE CD/RW drive

I have powerful case fans but stock cooling. Would it be worth the unlocked multiplier for overclocking? How much do you think I can OC the X6800 or E8600 on stock cooling? I can remove some drives so wattage is not really a problem.
  5. HostileDonut said:
    If you have the core 2 duo, then keep it. Like esrever said, games are just now starting to use more than 2 threads. If you can OC, that is the way to go. If you are playing games like BF3, Mafia 2, Crysis 2, or the other few that use 4 threads, go ahead and get a Q6600 and OC the heck out of it, but I wouldn't really suggest upgrading the LGA775 platform, as it is pretty old.

If you can, OC your duo and save for a IB or SB platform.

I have a Pentium D 945. Upgrading would only be realistic for me if I switched to AMD because it is too costly for the i3/i5/i7 builds as I would have to upgrade processor and mobo and the processors are insanely expensive.
  6. Derkle said:
    I have a Pentium D 945. Upgrading would only be realistic for me if I switched to AMD because it is too costly for the i3/i5/i7 builds as I would have to upgrade processor and mobo and the processors are insanely expensive.

Well your wrong. You can get an i3 for about £80. Or you could just get a c2d off of ebay for about £40
  7. Derkle said:

Not true, you can get a core i3 2100 for pretty cheap and a decent h67 board for $80. The core i3 will outperform both a C2Q and a C2D. If you are going for a new CPU now, and is MUST be a LGA775, get a Q6600 and OC it as far as you can. Or around 3.5Ghz because your GPU will bottleneck it.
  8. HostileDonut said:
    Not true, you can get a core i3 2100 for pretty cheap and a decent h67 board for $80. The core i3 will outperform both a C2Q and a C2D. If you are going for a new CPU now, and is MUST be a LGA775, get a Q6600 and OC it as far as you can. Or around 3.5Ghz because your GPU will bottleneck it.

Ok I didn't look into i3 actually. But wouldn't a phenom 2 x6 perform better than an i3?
  9. No not really, plus your better of going intel
  10. ok thanks guys!
  11. well since even an e8600 is $170 on ebay I think your best course of action is an athlonn II x4 for $100, Cheap am3+ motherbd $50, and 4gb ddr3 ram $20 which leaves you with a least an upgrade path thru bulldog & piledriver and for another $25 you can upgrade to a bd with usb3 and sata3.

Socket 775 is dead, the only upgrade option you have is used or old stock and you see what those prices are doing. Up Up Up.
  12. No bother, anytime
  13. The i3 option is a decent alternative too but bear in mind that you wont find many motherboards with IDE/ATAPI ports that you need.
  14. Derkle said:
    Ok I didn't look into i3 actually. But wouldn't a phenom 2 x6 perform better than an i3?

I would personally take a X6 Phenom II over a i3, as the performance of a X4 and an i3 are close, but when games start using 6 threads, the extra cores will help out. That is just my 2 cents.
  15. I'd get the 960t than the x6s and save a bit of money, even if you fail to unlock the extra cores, the 960t is a good cpu for its price.
  16. HostileDonut said:
    I would personally take a X6 Phenom II over a i3, as the performance of a X4 and an i3 are close, but when games start using 6 threads, the extra cores will help out. That is just my 2 cents.

But games arnt going to be using 6 threads for quite some time. Hardly any even use 4....
  17. Yeah I found cheap i3 parts. overall mobo, 2gb ram, and 3.2ghz i3 for $120. Thats good because that leaves room for upgrade. Price cap is around $200 so I might go for an i5 and 4gb ram or better gpu or something.
  18. Derkle said:
    Yeah I found cheap i3 parts. overall mobo, 2gb ram, and 3.2ghz i3 for $120. Thats good because that leaves room for upgrade. Price cap is around $200 so I might go for an i5 and 4gb ram or better gpu or something.

Yeah, you need at LEAST 4gb RAM. If you are running a 64-bit OS, I would try to get 8gb.
  19. seumas_beathan said:
    But games arnt going to be using 6 threads for quite some time. Hardly any even use 4....

I believe I heard that Mafia 2 and BF3 use 6 cores. Just saying, tech goes fast, might as well. I mean, I would.
  20. HostileDonut said:

Lemme make a few points.

Intel are dominant in market share for desktop cpus, they're 'performance' cpu's at the moment are only quad core (and it's not likely to change in the next 2 years).

So without any reason, at all for game developes to write 6threaded games for an old cpu with tiny market share.

Two reasons to buy a 6 core machine, 1) threaded data processing, 2) you hate nature and like burning extra joules.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel Quad