Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent boot problems

Last response: in Motherboards
December 17, 2012 11:47:53 AM

I have an old computer of a friend with me. It's specifications are as follows :

CPU : Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz
Motherboard : Intel D845GVSR
RAM : PC3200 200 MHz
Video : Intel 82845G Graphics Controller
Audio : Realtek AC'97 Audio

The computer is having random boot problems. Sometimes, it would just boot up fine, but other times, it would not boot at all.. mostly not booting lately.

The CPU fan turns on, the motherboard light turns on, but the monitor just remains blank, does not come on. This would be the case even after resetting the PC, or closing it by holding the power button, and starting it again.

It might be a fluke, but sometimes it does work when I remove the monitor cable from behind the PC, and then connect it back, and then power off and put on the power again. Or, by turning off from mains, and then putting on again.

But lately, even that does not seem to work now. Most of the time, it does not boot... or if it does boot, it hangs on the desktop, randomly. Just on desktop, or if I open some folder.. just random.

I have taken out the whole motherboard... disassembled every part, and assembled again nicely, but the problem remains. It has been like that I since I bought it home to have a look at it.

I am really stumped with this one. What can the problem be?

To add to that, the motherboard and RAM are so crap, and so old. And this desktop was sold to my friend recently, can you believe that? This is how people take advantage of naive ones.. sucks!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks .
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 11:55:01 AM

time to upgrade old parts are old
m
l
December 17, 2012 11:57:37 AM

Of course, the parts are old... I know that.

But, I was looking for a possible solution to the problem, so that the PC can be used, before they decide for an upgrade.
m
l
!