Your question

Memory running below rated clock

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
December 17, 2012 11:49:09 AM

Hello people,

I've got 4 x 2 GB OCZ gold series DDR3 ram rated to run at 1600 mhz but in the BIOS it says the memory clock is 1081 mhz. I've searched online and here on the forums and saw that other people had similar problems and the solution suggested was to increase the voltage.

Now, here's the funny thing in my case: I've had a few problems with this ram in the past, mainly because of mains supply... and I might have also "killed" one with static :D  but anyway so I've replaced 2 of them in the last year and now I've got 4 sticks of ram with 3 different voltage ratings. I don't even know if that's a problem by itself but I haven't had any problems (especially with power, since I bought a proper UPS). Even though they're the same model, 2 of them are labelled 1.65 V, 1 of them 1.9 v and the other is I think either between the two or about 2 volts. Does this actually mean that they have different ratings, I mean if I increase the voltage to 1.9 v, maybe the 1.65 v ones get fried?

Also, it says the memory voltage is 1.54 v in the BIOS, which is even below 1.65 v. Should I increase the voltage to 1.65 v or what? Sorry I haven't got much experience with voltage adjustments or overclocking... Thanks in advance!

More about : memory running rated clock

December 17, 2012 11:54:20 AM

in bios in memory settings make sure to have the "XML" profile loaded and not in auto. the motherboard will read factory speeds from the serial presence chip located on your ram sticks
December 17, 2012 11:55:47 AM

You should be able to safely increase to 1.65v and a little beyond on the 1.65v ones. If you want to properly do it ur gonna have to figure out which one is which in the BIOS and configure it properly for each stick. Then slowly bump up the speed and voltages one by one till you "bump" into its limit.
!