Help! Can't figure out Front Panel Header vs Case Connectors

dcstud

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
My Gateway DX4350 started having issues and after a bit of troubleshooting I narrowed the issue down to it most likely being the motherboard. So, I got a Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 (Rev 3.1) motherboard to replace the OEM board. Was doing fine until I got to the front panel headers.

So, the Gateway DX4350 case has 3 sets of wires from its case (and that is it!) to attach to the front panel header on the motherboard:
1. Green - White
2. Blue - White
3. Red - Black

After much trial and error I was able to connect the case wires to the motherboard in such a way that the fans inside the case turned on and stayed on (connected blue-white to Power Switch header, connected green-white to Reset Switch Header, Connected red-black to Msg/Power/Sleep LED). But, the power switch will not turn on or off and when I connect a keyboard and display nothing happens.

So, I am begging and pleading for help to know which case wire should go to which front panel header to make this work correctly.

I traced the Green-White and Blue-White to the top of the case and here is a picture. There is NO Reset Switch (this is confusing me) on the case! Here is the top of the case:
PowerSwitch-TopCase_zps7cc7a439.jpg

Here is the diagram of the Gigabyte 880GM-USB3's Front Panel Header from the manual:
GBManualFrontPanelHeader_zpsc2f4f564.jpg

And, I am just guessing that the "red-black" wires go to the Message/Power/Sleep LED from tracing the wires to the front of the case, here is a picture:
RedBlackwires_zps2e3f6d2d.jpg

So, again, please help me to determine which wires will go where that will make this work correctly.

dcstud

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Thank you. I was hoping that would do the trick, but it didn't. The fans turned on for about two seconds and then everything shut down. Just for grins I tried reversing the polarity to the Power LED. Same thing with the fans, but the Power Switch light actually turned on with the fans.

I feel like I am close, but keep missing it. Any other ideas?

No. Disconnect the red and the black wires. The circuit traces are clear. Green and white to the power switch. The polarity does not matter for the switch. Only for the led.
It might be a short issue somwhere else. Try testing the board outside the case.

TRENDING THREADS