Jan 22, 2001
Hi,
Can someone please help me with IDE setup
I have:
8GB hard drive (System)
30GB hard drive (Digital Video)
CD ROM (50X)
CD r/rw (10X4X32)

What should my settings be (eg. master, slave) For maximum performance of all devices?
Thanks. ;)

G

Have the 8gig set as master on the primary ide channel and the 30gig set as slave. I am not sure about the rom devices, will get back to you.

pill128

Take your pill, and get some sleep.

G

If you are going to be copying from the CD-rom to the burner directly, don't put them on the same IDE channel. I think you will have problems.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

G

I don't think putting both cd-drives on one IDE channel will give much trouble. I've got an 20 gig HD as master on the primary controller, and a SONY CD-RW as master and a LG CD-rom on the secondary controller. I don't have any trouble making copy's from one to the other...

I should set the 8 gig as master and the 30 gig as slave on the primary, and the cd-rw as master and the 50x as slave on the secondary IDE.

G

Exactly. I wouldn't think you would have any problems putting both of the ROMS on the same channel. The reason that I would have both HD's on the same channel is that when you set the harddrives to MASTER and SLAVE, the controller on the SLAVE harddrive is disabled and the controler on the MASTER is used for both drives, thus decreasing conflicts.

pill128

Take your pill, and get some sleep.

TRENDING THREADS