Hi all. I have 2 "add remove" icons in my control panel. It won't let me
delete one of them. How can I get rid of one?
Thanks in advance for any Help.

Shek--

Here's one way. I bet it could be done from the command prompt and with a
regedit as well. This works in Home, Pro, Tablet, and Media Center.

Put "gpedit.msc" in the run box. Administration>Administrative
Templates>Control Panel>In Right Pane>Right Click>Show Only Specified
Applets>Properties>Select Enable Radio Button in dialogue box that
appears>Click Show Button>Items not on list won't show. List the control
panel applet just once. These listings can also be used in your run box to
go straight to the applet's dialogue box faster.

Note: You can't just add the street name to the list of what gets
displayed. It has to be the Windows file name--the same one you'd use to
bring the applet's program or dialogue box up in your run box. Here's the
list of file names to use. The one for add remove is appwiz.cpl.

Where'd the wiz come from in that name? Whoever knows that knows some
Windows file name trivia. Here's the list:

Here are the Windows XP Pro Control Panel applets:
System Properties = sysdm.cpl
Network Connections = ncpa.cpl
ODBC Administrator = odbccp32.cpl
Display Properties = desk.cpl
Add or remove programs = appwiz.cpl
Internet Properties = Inetcpl.cpl
Game Controllers = joy.cpl
Phone and modem Options = telephon.cpl
Time and Date Properties = timedate.cpl
Region and Language Options = intl.cpl
Power Options = powercfg.cpl
Mouse Properties = main.cpl
Accessibility Options = access.cpl
Add Hardware Wizard = hdwwiz.cpl
Sound and Audio Devices = mmsys.cpl
User Accounts = nusrmgr.cpl
Speech Properties = sapi.cpl

hth,

Chad Harris

"Shek" <shek48ights.hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi all. I have 2 "add remove" icons in my control panel. It won't let me
delete one of them. How can I get rid of one?
Thanks in advance for any Help.

Hi Chad. Thanks for replying. I failed to say I'm running Windows XP Home. I
tried running "gpedit", but is was not recognized. I tried in regedit but
didn't succeed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Shek--
>
> Here's one way. I bet it could be done from the command prompt and with a
> regedit as well. This works in Home, Pro, Tablet, and Media Center.
>
> Put "gpedit.msc" in the run box. Administration>Administrative
> Templates>Control Panel>In Right Pane>Right Click>Show Only Specified
> Applets>Properties>Select Enable Radio Button in dialogue box that
> appears>Click Show Button>Items not on list won't show. List the control
> panel applet just once. These listings can also be used in your run box
> go straight to the applet's dialogue box faster.
>
> Note: You can't just add the street name to the list of what gets
> displayed. It has to be the Windows file name--the same one you'd use to
> bring the applet's program or dialogue box up in your run box. Here's the
> list of file names to use. The one for add remove is appwiz.cpl.
>
> Where'd the wiz come from in that name? Whoever knows that knows some
> Windows file name trivia. Here's the list:
>
> Here are the Windows XP Pro Control Panel applets:
> System Properties = sysdm.cpl
> Network Connections = ncpa.cpl
> ODBC Administrator = odbccp32.cpl
> Display Properties = desk.cpl
> Add or remove programs = appwiz.cpl
> Internet Properties = Inetcpl.cpl
> Game Controllers = joy.cpl
> Phone and modem Options = telephon.cpl
> Time and Date Properties = timedate.cpl
> Region and Language Options = intl.cpl
> Power Options = powercfg.cpl
> Mouse Properties = main.cpl
> Accessibility Options = access.cpl
> Add Hardware Wizard = hdwwiz.cpl
> Sound and Audio Devices = mmsys.cpl
> User Accounts = nusrmgr.cpl
> Speech Properties = sapi.cpl
>
> hth,
>
> Chad Harris
>

> "Shek" <shek48ights.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have 2 "add remove" icons in my control panel. It won't let me
> delete one of them. How can I get rid of one?
> Thanks in advance for any Help.

Shek--

I apologize--sorry to waste your time. *Group Policy editor doesn't exist
in Home*, but does exist in Win 2Kand sometimes I have trouble keeping Home
and Pro features straight and Win 2K and XP features straight (for example
MSFT skipped System Restore--(but they had it in the horrendous ME as well
as scanreg /restore) and Task Manager in Win 2K although you can get task
managers for Win 2K).

There must be the place to do this in the registry, and I'll try to find it
if somene else doesn't first.

Hi Chad. Thanks for replying. I failed to say I'm running Windows XP Home. I
tried running "gpedit", but is was not recognized. I tried in regedit but
didn't succeed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Shek--
>
> Here's one way. I bet it could be done from the command prompt and with a
> regedit as well. This works in Home, Pro, Tablet, and Media Center.
>
> Put "gpedit.msc" in the run box. Administration>Administrative
> Templates>Control Panel>In Right Pane>Right Click>Show Only Specified
> Applets>Properties>Select Enable Radio Button in dialogue box that
> appears>Click Show Button>Items not on list won't show. List the control
> panel applet just once. These listings can also be used in your run box
> go straight to the applet's dialogue box faster.
>
> Note: You can't just add the street name to the list of what gets
> displayed. It has to be the Windows file name--the same one you'd use to
> bring the applet's program or dialogue box up in your run box. Here's the
> list of file names to use. The one for add remove is appwiz.cpl.
>
> Where'd the wiz come from in that name? Whoever knows that knows some
> Windows file name trivia. Here's the list:
>
> Here are the Windows XP Pro Control Panel applets:
> System Properties = sysdm.cpl
> Network Connections = ncpa.cpl
> ODBC Administrator = odbccp32.cpl
> Display Properties = desk.cpl
> Add or remove programs = appwiz.cpl
> Internet Properties = Inetcpl.cpl
> Game Controllers = joy.cpl
> Phone and modem Options = telephon.cpl
> Time and Date Properties = timedate.cpl
> Region and Language Options = intl.cpl
> Power Options = powercfg.cpl
> Mouse Properties = main.cpl
> Accessibility Options = access.cpl
> Add Hardware Wizard = hdwwiz.cpl
> Sound and Audio Devices = mmsys.cpl
> User Accounts = nusrmgr.cpl
> Speech Properties = sapi.cpl
>
> hth,
>
> Chad Harris
>

> "Shek" <shek48ights.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have 2 "add remove" icons in my control panel. It won't let me
> delete one of them. How can I get rid of one?
> Thanks in advance for any Help.

Chad. Not at all. You didn't waste my time whatsoever. You solved my
problem. What I did was, I downloaded Tweak UI and it listed to 2 "add
remove" icons, so I unchecked one and it was gone. In fact your information
was extremely helpful. The list you provided, informed me which one to
uncheck in Tweak UI. The appwiz.cpl. I never would have guessed. In fact I
printed it out for future reference. Thanks a whole lot Chad, I greatly
appreciate it.