Upgrading to Graphics card with low power psu

Hi guys,

I'm basically planning to install a graphics card into a year old HP system which only has a 200 watt psu and am wondering is installing a low end gpu such as an ATI 5450, or similar, feasible or is it likely to damage my pc.

This is basically the same model but a bigger hard drive. HP Pavilion Slimline s5728uk Desktop PC
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c02674375.pdf

On the psu is say do not exceed 220Watts.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henry
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading graphics card power
  1. I'm almost scared to suggest that you should upgrade the GPU...I would say upgrade the PSU. I mean, by purchasing a new GPU, you're pushing that PSU really hard, and the harder it works, the more likely it will give out in the near future.
  2. You're going to have to buy a new PSU for almost any dedicated GPU unless it's a very, very low profile card like what you've requested, the 5450.

The 5450 actually only has a TDP between 19 and 23 watts, something any PSU could afford to give.

Once you start to go up from there (especially anything that requires a power connector via 6 or 8 pin), you'll need a new PSU.
  3. It is NEVER a good idea to overstress a PSU. The OEM PSU was too small to begin with. Just one more reason to build your own box.
  4. hbriggs said:
    Hi guys,

I'm basically planning to install a graphics card into a year old HP system which only has a 200 watt psu and am wondering is installing a low end gpu such as an ATI 5450, or similar, feasible or is it likely to damage my pc.

This is basically the same model but a bigger hard drive. HP Pavilion Slimline s5728uk Desktop PC
    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c02674375.pdf

On the psu is say do not exceed 220Watts.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

It's a card that uses 15 watts of power when stressed with Furmark, between that and the rest of your specs you'll have a hard time putting a 50% load on the psu.
  5. Upgrading the psu is not an option as it strange shape and i really dont want the hassle, i will be making a a custom pc in the future but need to upgrade my current pc.

I used a power calculator and it came to about 200 watt.

If i do install low power card such as the 5450 and it doesn't work what are the long and short term problems for the psu?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard Power Graphics