Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading to Graphics card with low power psu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2011 4:47:09 PM

Hi guys,

I'm basically planning to install a graphics card into a year old HP system which only has a 200 watt psu and am wondering is installing a low end gpu such as an ATI 5450, or similar, feasible or is it likely to damage my pc.

This is basically the same model but a bigger hard drive. HP Pavilion Slimline s5728uk Desktop PC
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c02674375.pdf

On the psu is say do not exceed 220Watts.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henry
September 15, 2011 5:01:47 PM

I'm almost scared to suggest that you should upgrade the GPU...I would say upgrade the PSU. I mean, by purchasing a new GPU, you're pushing that PSU really hard, and the harder it works, the more likely it will give out in the near future.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 5:06:14 PM

You're going to have to buy a new PSU for almost any dedicated GPU unless it's a very, very low profile card like what you've requested, the 5450.

The 5450 actually only has a TDP between 19 and 23 watts, something any PSU could afford to give.

Once you start to go up from there (especially anything that requires a power connector via 6 or 8 pin), you'll need a new PSU.
Related resources
September 15, 2011 5:13:10 PM

It is NEVER a good idea to overstress a PSU. The OEM PSU was too small to begin with. Just one more reason to build your own box.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2011 5:38:39 PM

hbriggs said:
Hi guys,

I'm basically planning to install a graphics card into a year old HP system which only has a 200 watt psu and am wondering is installing a low end gpu such as an ATI 5450, or similar, feasible or is it likely to damage my pc.

This is basically the same model but a bigger hard drive. HP Pavilion Slimline s5728uk Desktop PC
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c02674375.pdf

On the psu is say do not exceed 220Watts.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

It's a card that uses 15 watts of power when stressed with Furmark, between that and the rest of your specs you'll have a hard time putting a 50% load on the psu.
September 15, 2011 5:47:49 PM

Upgrading the psu is not an option as it strange shape and i really dont want the hassle, i will be making a a custom pc in the future but need to upgrade my current pc.

I used a power calculator and it came to about 200 watt.

If i do install low power card such as the 5450 and it doesn't work what are the long and short term problems for the psu?
!