Sign in with
Your question

Looking for input on possible build

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2011 5:59:50 AM

Hello,

I need a new computer because my MBP failed. So I did some research in the past 2 days, and came up with the following:

I'd appreciate any input/advice on what to consider versus what I picked, etc.

General Info:
I mainly surf the web, youtube, hi-res pictures, love to watch high quality movies/streaming/blue-ray, rarely picture/video editing, some DNA sequencing and analysis, and game seldomly, however, when I do, I'd like to be well equipped for it.
I will most likely use this system as a personal entertainment system for my room.

I will be running this system on a 32" Samsung TV. I forget the specs off the top of my head, but I don't remember it being 1080P.. although I want to upgrade to one sometime in the future when I tire of this one / can afford an LED TV.

Without further ado, Here's the build I've come up with so far, and would love to get some advice:

Case: Corsair 600T White (~$165)
I really like the white and black scheme

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 (~$210)

CPU: Intel Core I5-2500K 3.3gHz (~$215)
I am still unsure whether it is worth the additional $105 for the I7-2600K (hyper-threading)
or even the additional $155 for the I7-2700K
for what I may want to do with this system.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2x4GB (~$50)
Somewhat of a blue scheme

PSU: Corsair Pro Series Gold 850AX (~$185)

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX B (~$60)
Blue Led, I like the turbine design... But if this isn't a smart purchase, do let me know

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (~$210)

Blue-Ray Drive: LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Super Multi WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
I love to watch

What I haven't decided on:

Graphics Card:
I don't need a Tier 0, stupidly superfluous bragging rights Graphics card, but I would like one that's reputable.
I wouldn't mind it lighting up Blue or Red (aesthetics do matter, as I am choosing to build, and not buy a pre-built)

HD:
Hard drives are kind of expensive now... I read somewhere they spiked due to lower supply vs demand..
I don't really need that much space, and I am definitely getting an SSD, so anything 300gb~1TB is fine if it will keep high fidelity.

OS: Probably Windows 7, but I haven't used a Windows based OS in 5 years. I have now been accustomed to the user-friendly Mac OS. However.. I need to do more research before I know for sure whether I can or can not run a MAC OS with my set-up.

Sound Card: I currently only have a 2.1 system, but would eventually like to move onto a better 5.1 or 7.1 system. Recommendations for possible future-build is welcome.

I believe the build is already around ~$1,100
I would like to keep this build lower than $1,600 for sure.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

More about : input build

November 16, 2011 5:53:22 AM

iJimpanzee said:
HD: Hard drives are kind of expensive now... I read somewhere they spiked due to lower supply vs demand..
I don't really need that much space, and I am definitely getting an SSD, so anything 300gb~1TB is fine if it will keep high fidelity.

Hello iJimpanzee;

Floods in Asia knocked a good size chunk of HDD MFRG capacity.
If you could work with OSX effectively I don't believe you will have trouble with the switch to Win7.

Until you ARE ready for a full on 5.1 system I'd suggest sticking with motherboard audio. Then spec out the home theater/home audio system as a package, sound card, speakers, TV, etc.
m
l
November 16, 2011 5:57:27 AM

The PSU/Graphics cards are tied together by overall power requirements. The GPU(s) power requirements usually drive the PSU capacity. And that Corsair Pro Series Gold 850AX is sized high enough to power two pretty powerful graphics cards like the Geforce GTX 570.

-> In your case I think it's possible your software will drive the choice of GPU. Does your software have the ability to put the graphics cards to work as mini-CPUs?
Specifically the software you will use for "some DNA sequencing and analysis". The technique is called general-purpose computing on graphics processing units or GPGPU.
If your software supports that option it can greatly increase your overall sequencing and analysis speed.
m
l
!