Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 hangs at "completing installation", blinking cursor.

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2010 2:39:56 PM

Okay, where should I start? I have installed Win7 x64 a few times already before and never have I had this problem. As I am installing Win7 at the "completing installation" phase my screen goes black for half second, reappears, then right after goes back to black with a steady blinking cursor on the top left of the screen. When I attempt a reset button restart it goes to the Win7 logo and freezes there. Remedies I've tried were: leaving blinking cursor screen overnight, remove all USB connections, remove all cards beside video, resetting CMOS, changing SATA mode to AHCI. It's definitely not my Win7 because it's legitimate. What I did see on anoter forum was someone mentioning something about the MBR is messed up. I installed the legit Win7 on my laptop. But since I wanted to install it on my desktop aswell I used the dazloader, one of the versions, I forgot which one. And someone says that might be bumping into each other. But i don't get it because I delete the partitions when i do the clean install. They mentioned something about doing a repair from the Win7 cd and going to command prompt and doing commands "bootrec.exe /fixboot and also bootrec.exe /fixmbr, I remember it didn't really help me. But I also didn't know if I was supposed to do it after the first restart while installing Windows before it gets to the blinking cursor screen. Or do it after I hard reset the PC. I can't remember which I tried but it didn't seem to work. I also tried booting safemode with command prompt and going into device manager and disabling my video card and then updating the most recent driver through online connectivity. But it says it's already the most recent. Whoever will reveal me a working solution I will give alot of pointS and 20$ paypal. It's not much but it's what I can afford. I also know for a fact all my hardware is working fine. Thanks you
January 8, 2010 4:05:06 PM

My specs are as follows:
MB: Asus p6td Deluxe
CPU: i7 920
PSU: 1100watt
HD: WD Caviar black 1tb
Gfx: evga 9800gx2
RAM: OCZ 2gb ddr3 2000mhz
-displaying on a 26" Olevia 226t HDTV
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2010 7:45:11 PM

It could be the memory time setting that’s causing this or Bad hard drive / memory.

Firstly check your memory for bad blocks with Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Then download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to check your hard drive for bad sectors/clusters. The Dos edition is more effective. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613...

Since you running Windows 7 on the laptop, once the iso's are downloaded, just the double on the iso file, it will ask you for a blank media and burn it
…………………………………………………………………..
If the memory and the hard drives passed the tests, then try to change the memory timing in the bios.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2010 7:56:01 PM

ibnsina said:
It could be the memory time setting that’s causing this or Bad hard drive / memory.

Firstly check your memory for bad blocks with Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Then download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to check your hard drive for bad sectors/clusters. The Dos edition is more effective. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613...

Since you running Windows 7 on the laptop, once the iso's are downloaded, just the double on the iso file, it will ask you for a blank media and burn it
…………………………………………………………………..
If the memory and the hard drives passed the tests, then try to change the memory timing in the bios.

Well my HD and memory seem to be fine because i just had XP working on it 1 hour ago and the HD is like new..u still think something could be wrong? i guess i can try the memory timings. the problem is ive had windows 7 on this pc before and it installed fine..i just dont get what can be causing this and back then the memory timings were the default bios setting ones and it went through..im going nuts lol.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2010 3:08:54 PM

Again to be sure, I would test the hard drive and memory with the above tools. Then try different memory timing.
Also see if there’s any bios updates for the motherboard.

m
l
February 8, 2010 12:46:59 PM

Hi I take it you got this issue resolved?? I posted on one of your other topics, it seems we are/were having the same issue. If you did get it working I would appreciate it if you could let me know how you did it?
m
l
!