Cannot read SCSI Cheetah in Control Panel.

G

I have the 29160 with an 80 pin Cheetah connected on a cable that terminates at the end - just after the Cheetah. The Cheetah is adapted by a 68 to 80 connector. This is connected to the Internal LVD/SE Connector.

Someone had put the initial system together and it read "too many terminators" or something similar - but it worked. I did unplug it to add PCI devices, but that is it.
Oh - I did change my ACPI to "Standard PC".

Well, now I can't read my Cheetah. It shows up in the Device Mgr (Windows 2000 Pro). It shows up in the SCSI bios - ID #4. But I can't access it via any means for use.

I'm at a loss.

Thomas.

G

cheetah model ?? I"ll guess it's a newer LVD model. but specify so someone can better help.

is the adapter a specified LVD/SE adapter or one originally designed for SE (the latter usually has terminators on it and sometimes both a 68pin and 50pin interface). Running LVD drives with 80-->68pin adapters that were originally designed for SE is a big hassle and sometimes impossible. (definitely you want to remove any terminators if they are present.. )

You may just have not got the adapter plugged in good enough. It really doesn't take much for them to lose good conn. I've had the weight of an LVD cable pull one down just slightly and it wouldn't read in the bios. But the fact that it's being scanned by the SCSI bios and recognized by the OS suggest something else. (a terminator problem or physical problem with the disk) I suspect there is a terminator problem somewhere.

If you are absoulutely sure it's not termination (you may have to consult someone...preferably the person who built it or give some more info here.. such as scsi bios settings all devices on the bus for more help here, and adapter model), then try using the Verify media utility in the SCSI bios. (this can generate errors if there is termination problems or physical disk problems.. thus the need to eliminate the termination issue before using it.. otherwise you won't know which is causing it).

I don't know why the change to Standard PC would change anything. I've done this with SCSI controllers installed even with drives attached through adapters and no problems. But if it created an IRQ conflict that the controller doesn't like or it was working with an SE adapter under ACPI, then maybe, but I wouldn't guess that. YOu could try repairing the Win 2k install (personally I've had no problems with ASPI sharing all PCI on one IRQ, but you have to get used to it in your head and that's not to say some people don't have problems).

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***